Design Block

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Design Block

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Its weird, for the past 3 years or so I have been going at 100 mph trying to make games out of all these ideas storming through my head. Its like I never had enough time to get the ideas out onto a digital canvas. Now for the first time that I can remember I am lost for an idea. Sure I still have game ideas but none that I truly want to make. Hmm I guess we all hit a place where failed ideas and attempts catch up with us but its feeling like a writers block for game development. Never thought I would go through it but here it is.
Jackolantern

Re: Design Block

Post by Jackolantern »

I have been through the same thing. The best thing for me when I start feeling that way is to stop trying to come up with any ideas, and focus on doing or learning things instead. When you totally forget about coming up with ideas, eventually, they will start flowing again. It is basically the same thing as writer's block.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yeah, i think its because I am in the middle of a new language and dont know enough to create a game but dont want to create a game in another language/engine that I know because I dont want to have 2 things going at once. Ugh but like you say, I guess it will pass.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

In a way, this can be helpful. If I am learning something new while ideas keep popping out my ears every couple of minutes, it can be distracting. It can also make you feel rushed while you are learning. Just learn the new technology, and don't worry about ideas for a while.

Btw, what is the new language you are learning? VB.NET, like you mentioned in the other thread?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yes vb.net and asp.net.

I figured to help me learn them I would make an mmorpg engine much like eclipse but through the browser. I have got a few things working but my knowledge is not extensive enough to do what I need. I am aiming for a iso engine though, kinda like diablo through the browser.

Return to “General Development”