SMARTY system

C++, C#, Java, PHP, ect...
JOJOManLV

SMARTY system

Post by JOJOManLV »

Does anyone are do something witht smarty system??
Xaleph

Re: SMARTY system

Post by Xaleph »

Smarty templating i assume? I used it sometimes, but i rather not work with it because of the overhead of all the objects being used. However, if you have questions about Smarty, fire away.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Honestly, if you are just looking for a separation of presentation and logic (i.e. a way to get your PHP logic out of your HTML display), I would suggest looking into an MVC library, such as CodeIgniter. You can keep your code organized by using the Model-View-Controller pattern, and it keeps it from turning into a pile of spaghetti code.

From what I have seen, Smarty is a pretty heavy-handed option that seems best in commercial studios when professional designers are trying to work with professional developers, since it keeps both side's hands off the other.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
JOJOManLV

Post by JOJOManLV »

Code: Select all

Warning: rename(/home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty//templates_compile/42af42f184b5f109a2cc66c4e9c7f0f1a496f5d2.file.login.tpl.php) [function.rename]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 48

Warning: rename(/tmp/wrt2iXkfW,/home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty//templates_compile/42af42f184b5f109a2cc66c4e9c7f0f1a496f5d2.file.login.tpl.php) [function.rename]: Permission denied in /home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 48

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 50

Warning: include(/home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty//templates_compile/42af42f184b5f109a2cc66c4e9c7f0f1a496f5d2.file.login.tpl.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php on line 423

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty//templates_compile/42af42f184b5f109a2cc66c4e9c7f0f1a496f5d2.file.login.tpl.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/mwwlistl/public_html/lw/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php on line 423

WTF?? I am not understand anything of it?? and how to fix it??? HELP me please...

You not recomend it for that who start learn PHP??
Chris

Post by Chris »

Those warnings don't have to do with PHP but more with your file/user permissions on your system.
If it's a simple matter of file permissions try chmod them to 777. That will allow everybody and everything to edit and run all your files.

If you're running on a linux server which as far as I can see you are and you are running PHP through a web server like apache. That server won't have any file access outside of its own directory as the user it runs as doesn't really exist. So it shouldn't have any permissions to /tmp/ and a /home/ directory shouldn't really exist for it.

You should be putting your website into /var/www/, your server shouldn't have any access outside of that.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

And no, I would definitely not suggest Smarty Templating for someone just starting to learn PHP. It is really more of an advanced tool.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

I have started using smarty to build my forum, and although can be complicated, i love it tbh.

like jack said. not really summit for someone just starting out
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

You use SMARTY for a forum? Wow, one application i never figured you could use SMARTY for. Well, you could, but the overhead.. How many templates do you use? I reckon about 6? Overview, table view, detail view, quick reply, new entry? 5?

I found a cool, lightweight template parser the other day, called: Outline. Very small, easy in use and easily implemented. Has about the same basic features as smarty does, without the long dredging syntax.

Anyway, my template pereference goes to xslt so i`m not to be taken seriously here. lol.
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

well its not accually finished yet lol :?

but yes people have made forums and even CMS software with it. if you know how to utilize it you can use it to build anything you would normaly without it.

and if you really wanted to, you could use a single template, but it would get very very messy.

I only have my registration page complete currently, but so far i have 4 templates, one master which holds the css/style info, javascript paths etc. asn index template a regisration template (which is split into 3 pages) and an email template. www.project-blackwidow.com
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Well, i`m not saying it`s not possible, but given that forums are always based on input from users, you cannot cache it well, which is one of the main reasons to use a template. Since user content always changes over time, this means that, either you cache too much, or you cache nothing at all. Since the content is always loaded from external resources like a database. Hence the caching is not an option.

Which leads to the next question: why bother using a template engine if you are not going to use the main features provided by a template engine? Does it not make sense to just use regular files for the loading? You can still create a template structure, the only thing you would miss is the "easy" syntax for dislpaying variables. Which in SMARTY terms is not that easy anyway. Unless you only work with static vars where $username = "Xaleph"; and you call the {$username}

Return to “Coding”