www.marcaria.com - Infallible?

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
PaxBritannia

www.marcaria.com - Infallible?

Post by PaxBritannia »

http://www.marcaria.com

I was searching for a place to register domains, and after some time, I found this. I've searched for the normal combos in google like "marcaria scam", "marcaria fake", etc. Nill, none, zip.

The only reviews I can find, and there are plenty, are positive. Apparently there is great customer support, and (even rare overseas) domains clear really fast.

BBB (Better Business Bureau gives it an A+:
http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/b ... l-92021250

Web of Trust gives it only positive comments (although only 2):
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.marcaria.com

Price wise, they're not the cheapest for the normal domains at $12. But for the more obscure ones, their prices are relatively cheap.

They also offer hosting, which seams fair. Given their reputation, they shouldn't be overselling their unlimited bandwidth. Their hosting isn't too expensive either (3.5GB plan $75 a year(1 year min.)) But I couldn't find anything about crons though, maybe phone them?

I might be registering quite a few domains (some exotic) with them, although my hosting will be at Media Temple (moving from JustHost). I'll tell you how that turns out.

If not, I'll be registering them at moniker, which does have some bad reviews, but is a bigger company and better domain security. Any suggestions?

pax.
Slav2

Re: www.marcaria.com - Infallible?

Post by Slav2 »

Hmmm i just heard about crons ealier today. And ummm well I personally think hostmonster is better cause for $72 a year you get everything unlimited. And u can add domains for only $10 a month and subdomains are free. The choice is yours :)
Thanks,

Slav2
Chris

Post by Chris »

Slav2 wrote:Hmmm i just heard about crons ealier today. And ummm well I personally think hostmonster is better cause for $72 a year you get everything unlimited. And u can add domains for only $10 a month and subdomains are free. The choice is yours :)
That's expensive.

http://blacknight.ie/ (for around $50 a year, servers are top notch! I can't get them to go slow!!!! basic plan allows up to 30 domains)
http://furion.nl/ (1 dolar a month, in dutch)
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

I already have a host at JustHost: $72 for two years, including a domain for that whole time (previously I said it was $82, but I forgot that domain registration is included). Everything is also unlimited. However all hosts who say unlimited mean 10GB / 100GB tops. After that they kick you out.

Also, most of these hosts are unreliable (by that I mean 99.9% reliable ;) ) It's that .1% that kills.

I haven't made an official announcement here yet, so there's no way you could have known. My new social-networking/content-management site will need a few dozen individual commodity servers. Thats only for the database and some static content. Most images and videos will be served through Amazon 3S. Thats terabytes of content. And all of it needs to be high-availability, high-redundancy. Its not going to work on a $72 a year plan.

And this is for domains only by the way, I just pointed out hosting because of their exceptional service. You're paying a bit more, but they actually talk to you! That's got to be worth it. :)

pax.
Chris

Post by Chris »

If you're going to make a site like that I'd go for a VPS or an own server.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

One's not enough... for the database, well need a bout a "dozen individual commodity servers." (Vertical partioning and sharding along with master-master replication and some read-only slaves) We also might use Cassandra or another Dynamo based-noSQL for the shard index tables (the conclusions will be interesting). The website application layer will need another dozen.

Initially this is all going to be third party. Eventually, we'll host the database servers ourselves.

pax.
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Personally, I've never had a problem with a registry service as long as they offered a control panel to manage the domain name. I've had dozens of registrars and am approaching close to 200 domains registered, and I typically just go with whomever is cheapest, as long as I recognize the company name.

As long as they offer a control panel to manage the domain name, support requests should be virtually non-existant... you should be able to renew, change DNS, edit records, request an EPP for transfer, etc, all without ever needing to contact support.

Registrars I've used in the past include Tucows, Godaddy (who are fine for registration, but I would not recommend them for hosting), eNom, and Namecheap, among others... and another dozen or so small time shops as I've purchased domains through auction or from other people.

If all you need is registration, I'd just go with any of the few cheap but well known providers listed out there.
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

Some of the domains I'm registering are exotic (they are overseas country codes) and require local presence. That is, they require a you to list a representative with a local address. Typically, these involve a bit more manual complexity and can sometimes take weeks to clear.

Also the, domains I'm handling are also high-value ones (with the exception of the variations), so I can't afford them to get hijacked.

pax.

Return to “WebSite”