'fun-dimentals'

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Callan S.

'fun-dimentals'

Post by Callan S. »

I thought I'd make a post on the idea of identifying small, fun elements. The philosophy behind it is that you can do so, and once you have the small fun elements, much like lego or ingrediants in food, they can be combined together.

I see alot of people here trying to make big, Big, BIG games, or otherwise they don't seem...well...happy? Indeed they seem to burn out well before completing the large sized games apparently required for fun.

But, even if they aren't mind blowingly fun, can't you write very small mini games which are mildly amusing? That way what your making is atleast mildly fun right now (right now as in if the game is small, then you'll complete writing it in a very short time (especially for some of you code wizards).

So here's the challenging thought for you guys - can you write small games that are fun? They don't have to be wildly fun, being 'a bit of a laugh' or whatever is fine. And would writing these first, then slowly stringing them together to form a bigger game, help complete the bigger game?
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: 'fun-dimentals'

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

good idea, I totally agree with taking on a big project and it getting to be too much or just plain burning out.

Return to “Game Design”