Collaboration.

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
kyraneth

Collaboration.

Post by kyraneth »

For a project to go along smoothly, an efficient collaboration work flow between team members should be setup.

I personally find two software very useful in this situation: Dropbox and Collabtive.

Dropbox (i'm sure FS devs are fed up with it currently) is an amazing peace of software, that appears in a form of folder on your desktop. This folder is constantly synching everything you put in it on an online server, and everything put in a subfolder named "public" has a public link! so no more opennig webpages to upload files or images, just save them in the right location. And the most useful feature is setting up a shared folder with other dropbox users. For example, you have a team of artists, designers, coders etc... You have a shared folder between you, and every peace of art that the artists saves in it appears on all the team members' pcs! A huge time saver. If you need more info, i could post some screens and a tutorial on how to use it.

Collabtive is a web script for collaborative project management. It features milestone tracking, multi user on a project, file upload etc... all in a very nice interface. It's hard to describe, so i suggest you give it a test run and judge it by yourself:

a screenie:

The demo link: http://www.opensourcecms.com/groupware/ ... admin.html

Admin Username: admin
Admin Password: demo123

What tools do you use to improve team collaboration?
Just FYI, the post is above, so stop looking down here and do something useful.

king noob. Nice.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Collaboration.

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I second dropbox. Very awesome tool.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

Personally, I prefer Dotproject. It isn't the prettiest, but it is very efficient and the data it gathers is helpful for alot of people. Outside of the general task tracking stuff, it has some nice stuff for making gantt charts of progress, and forums and ticket tracking and stuff like that. Its very cool.

Sadly though, people in my team copier... don't want it cause its not pretty. So we are using codespaces, till I can create a pretty and efficient proprietary system.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
kyraneth

Post by kyraneth »

I agree that dot project wins by features and power, but I don't like it for the following reason: The not so pretty/friendly interface, plus all the tools that confuses you, makes the whole point of a project management (make things easier/clearer/simpler) void! but for the people who can handle it (thumbs up on that one ;) ) it can be a pretty powerful script!
Just FYI, the post is above, so stop looking down here and do something useful.

king noob. Nice.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

That, is where a good project manager comes in handy :p
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey

Return to “General Development”