Esenthel

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Esenthel

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Wanted to make a new topic on this engine

http://www.esenthel.com/

Really tempted to buy the MMO version with source and go back to a 3D MMO. This is a fantastic looking engine and one of its downfalls is actually something I like very much, it has no scripting, only C++. This keeps much of the fanboi kids out. The graphics are stunning.
dave3460

Re: Esenthel

Post by dave3460 »

wow i see what you guys are on about with the detail to the worlds you can throw yourself into with 3d .

i can see the reason most go along these lines for what they want to create .
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

http://www.esenthel.com/community/showt ... p?tid=2685

Client side collision is a bad sign and I certainly can't use it for Magic Epoch. :cry:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

wow yeah not kewl.

eh we all get drawn in by the pretty graphics, who am i kiddin :) Web Browser games is where i need to stay ;)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

And an absence of "fanbois" is definitely no reason to choose an engine that would make such a terrible design decision as not having a scripting engine. ;) Having to make every bit of game logic in C++ would be a nightmare.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

well its two sided to me. Its personal preference, kinda a pet peeve. "Easy to use" engines get filled with people I can't stand and filled with a multitude of "2 day" projects. It is less for documentation and examples but a closer knit community is more my preference.
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:well its two sided to me. Its personal preference, kinda a pet peeve. "Easy to use" engines get filled with people I can't stand and filled with a multitude of "2 day" projects. It is less for documentation and examples but a closer knit community is more my preference.
Tell me about it. I posted some specific questions on the Unity forums; basically the same questions that i'd asked earlier on mmorpgmaker.com. Dreamora had some good answers about the networking, which leads me to believe that Unity can't really do the job for me. The Third reply made me want to bang my head against a wall.

My networking question was:
Unrelated networking questions:
Can anyone who has worked with Torque as well as Unity give me a short “delta” of the two engine’s networking? How does Unity's raknet scoping/ghosting work in comparison to Torque’s TNL? I'm not asking about pros and cons, but how scoping and ghosting is handled. Is there something similar to mask bits?

Does Unity use datablocks, or something similar like Torque? If not, how does it deal with the situation where a dozen exact copies of something need to have all their info sent to all users in scope?
The third answer was:
Regarding networking in unity vs torque:
I've never used Torque in a deeper form, the last time I saw torque it was back in 2008 and it was a very ugly experience.
Regarding Unity raknet, it is quite easy but theres few others options quite powerful for MMO or simple multiplayer.
I had the chance to try out electroserver5: http://www.electrotank.com/technology-overview.html
I'm not an avid network programmer and I've done huge things with electroserver so easy, you'll feel right at home.
Integration withing Unity is just few clicks away, you can also use it freely but the free licenses only support up to 25 players per server.
At least it give you the chance to try it out.
Theirs also Badumna: http://www.scalify.com/badumna.php
Personally i haven't tested this one but i heard that is easier than electroserver5.
That was 110% facepalm! I wanted to know how Unity's networking worked from a 10,000 foot perspective; I was not asking if there was an easy networking solution. MS Access is easy to use and VBA is an easy scripting language to learn. Now try using it as an enterprise database server. I don't want to invest time and energy into a platform if it is going to crap out on me when I've got 20 concurrent players; not matter how easy it appears to be.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

It's funny - to me graphics aren't indicative of anything. They are like the fuzzy dice on a car - the fuzzy dice are no indicator of what it's like to drive, how much fuel it uses, how much space in the boot, etc.

I mean, nice graphics, but when the characters just standing in X, Y location like you can do in a browser game, then all 3D is is just a browser game with really nice fuzzy dice.

I think maybe having some still, image mapped landscape images in a browser game, so you can look at the world and think "I want to go there" and click on it, that grants engagement with the fictional world, but without the metric ton of work a 3D game requires.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog

Return to “3d Engines”