Any free webhosting?

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Infinity

Any free webhosting?

Post by Infinity »

Anyone knows a free webhosting with mysql and crons?
Lot of thanks for all
Baseball435

Re: Any free webhosting?

Post by Baseball435 »

Idk about the crons because I've never used them but I mostly use 000webhost.com because it has so many options and is easy to use
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Hi!
I have seen that it have "Crons Jobs" by free, so that one will be great! Lot of thanks!
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

no problem :) pm me if you need anymore help and i will be willing to give you it! :D
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Wow that's nuts. I've never heard of free web hosting with no strings attached. You don't have to post in any forums or anything like that? It looks like they do send promotional emails, but that's a small price to pay for free hosting.
w00t
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Yeah, I've had my game in progress hosted with them for awhile. It's going pretty well.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Do they allow .htaccess editing?
w00t
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

I highly advice you do NOT use this host.
As well as you guys I thought "sweet, free and cron" but when I recently got terminated fully & had no chance to backup my recent SQL DB (I had one that was a month old) because the support told me I had to pay 8$ monthly to backup my SQL from a suspended account. Suprisingly enough, when I ask them if I can pay right now I also make a little backtracking on the hosting24.com daughter company which is essentially 000webhost's, and turns out they are huge scammers, they also do credit card fraud.

Point;
1. 000webhost does not like game scripts
2. 000webhost daughter company 24hosting.com is shit & have a backtrack on credit card fraud
3. they force you to upgrade to 24hosting.com premium plan to be able to get a simple SQL backup when you get suspended
4. make daily or hourly backups if you plan to use 000webhost so you don't end up reconstructing your DB like I had to for 1.5 hours.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

While I don't have experience with that particular host, unfortunately that is the experience a lot of people end up having trying to use free hosts for PBBGs. They don't like them, and want to find any way possible to get rid of them. They can work for closed testing when only 1 or 2 players will ever be on at a specific time, but more than that is risky. And there is a lot at stake, like Spawn said. They can simply shut you down and not allow you any back-ups of your database, which could be a train-wreck for your game and your community.

I suggest to only use free hosts for closed testing and development, and then move to a low-cost host as quickly as possible when you transition to being open to the public. A low-cost host should keep you set until you start having 20+ players on at any given time (depending on how demanding the game's scripts are), at which point even a low-cost host will begin to look at dropping you. After that it is on to virtual or dedicated servers.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Yeah, well for myself I don't particularly get recurring players on my game at the moment and I'm developing at my own pace - I'd hate to slowly be throwing money away just in case I lost a database full of players who, AFAICT, aren't going to return (and I keep a duplicate of the structure of my database on my comp).

I think as an in between practice run, 000 is fine.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog

Return to “WebSite”