What inspires your design?

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Noctrine

What inspires your design?

Post by Noctrine »

I've got a bit of time over the weekend now. So time to get some interesting discussions and stuff started.

So yeah, when you guys come up with ideas for games what is the spark that leads you to create what could potentially be the next big game idea. Do you have a particular thing that causes you to come up with things? A sort of inspirational muse that never fails you, or maybe a sphere of influences that you like to pull from that works as a guide for your design?

I could go on with maybe this and maybe that, but yeah. I want to hear from you guys.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Warriorccc0

Re: What inspires your design?

Post by Warriorccc0 »

Pondering story ideas in my head, not really sure where I get inspiration, I don't get much, which is annoying because I could use it more often along with enthusiasm.

But I probably get some from some of my most favorite games or games that are more unique.
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

My ideas seem to be appear randomly. One idea was from when I was blowing bubbles with my little brother, another was while I was eating dinner :) Unfortunately I seem to come up with too many ideas sometimes. I already have 15 ideas and my friends (who want to help me make games) have quite a few of their own.

Basically inspiration for me comes from everywhere.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

All of my ideas come from a my goal of creating a world that people can share and become a part of. Regardless of the genre or type of game I feel there is a world out there somewhere that relies on me to bring players in to breathe life into it. My inspiration comes from knowing there are hundreds maybe even thousands of NPCs relying on me to bring them to life.
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

My Muses: Travel, hiking and the weather.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Cayle wrote:My Muses: Travel, hiking and the weather.
Hiking is the best place to gain new ideas. Something about the woods and mountains and just nature that pumps your head full of great things. Anytime I have writers block I head out for a hike.
kyraneth

Post by kyraneth »

Mine would be reading and taking a bath :)
Just FYI, the post is above, so stop looking down here and do something useful.

king noob. Nice.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I could be sitting down at work and see something that would be really neat. Or out about in RL (Real Life) and see something, then I start pulling all these things I "saw" and wonder, hey, this might could work.

Like the browser-based space game my team and I are creating. All the inspiration comes from everyday things. :D

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Honestly, most of my inspiration comes from within. I just kind of zone out (oftentimes while pacing), and just start going with thought processes to see where they lead.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Agent

Post by Agent »

My inspiration comes mainly from observations (things i see and do) and science / logic.

Return to “Game Design”