2D RPG game in vb.net

RPG Maker, Eclipse, Xtreme Worlds, ect..
Baseball435

2D RPG game in vb.net

Post by Baseball435 »

Well I have wanted to create my own 2D game and I heard you could in vb.net. I specifically use visual basic 2008. I was wondering how you would even start to begin making a 2d rpg in vb 2008. If anyone has any websites or tutorials pleasee post them! Thanks guys!
Jackolantern

Re: 2D RPG game in vb.net

Post by Jackolantern »

The game-making language of choice in .NET is now C#, and has been since the release of XNA. Maybe there are some good engines still out there for Visual Basic.NET, but I have always personally enjoyed XNA. It is well-organized compared to writing code in raw DirectX calls. Technically, you can write XNA applications in VB.NET, but it is ugly, unsupported, and has almost no community behind it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Okay. Do you know of any engines that could create me a game like maplestory? Or more of an rpg game like puzzle pirates? Not the puzzle part but just the whole way it looks and the way you move.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Not really. There are no real MMORPG engines for .NET, much less anything 2D side-scrolling to the level of Maplestory. You would have to build it yourself, which is no small task even for a highly-experienced .NET coder.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

You could try this:

vbGore

or

Google Search results

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I thought VBGore was made in VB6, an incompatible version for VB.NET. Or was it updated to VB.NET?
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I did a search on VB.Net and got vbGore and some other results, like how .NET can be used in making an MMO. I didn't read much into it, but figured I would post my search results so he can thumb through it.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I looked on VBGore's [url=http://www.vbgore.com/Main_Page]website[/i] and it looks like it is written in VB6 with DirectX 8.
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Yeah I think so. I was looking at unity3D too. What do you guys think of that? Like is it hard to learn and use and code? Because that's what I think would be cool to work with. Never really have worked with it though
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

Unity is one of the easiest engines to use and learn IMO. It works quite well for 2D games, you just need to do a couple things first.

Return to “2D engines”