Rate my Concept

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
TassadarZeratul

Rate my Concept

Post by TassadarZeratul »

I recently had an idea for what I think is a pretty new concept for an MMO. Basically, the goal of the game is to survive/hold off an ever-growing wave of zombies along with your fellow players for as long as possible. So, basically, Nazi Zombies mode in CoD, but as an MMO.

The game will use an interface which resembles a top-down RPG mixed with an RTS. Players will control their character with the keyboard. Classes which can summon can use the mouse (plus keyboard hotkeys, probably) to control summoned units, like in an RTS.

The classes are as follows:
-Fireman: Basically a meatshield, but can also be played as a melee combat class. Starts with a Fire Axe.
-Police Officer: Ranged combat/DPS. Starts with a Police Pistol or a Tazer (player's choice).
-Scientist: Summoner (sort of - Scientists can take over zombies and convert them to their control). No starting weapon.
-Nurse: Can heal nearby players. Can also deploy Medical Drones, which can heal players and slowly move. Can be played as a combat class with some difficulty.
-Engineer: Can create several devices, such as turrets and bunkers, to help out other players.
-More might be added later

Basically, I want to know if you guys think this is a good concept before I start developing it.
Jesusfreak

Re: Rate my Concept

Post by Jesusfreak »

Like the Nazi Zombies in CoD? What if your MMO turns out to be really successful and the makers of CoD found out you stole their idea? :shock:

Besides that, what happens if the players all die?
Do all the players share a huge fortress, or are they in separate teams?
What would the pvp be like?
How the heck would a tazer work with mindless zombies (tazers interfere with the nervous system that controls the muscles, I doubt this would work if the zombies had no brain to control the nervous system in the first place)?

Etc, etc D=. This could be a good minigame or something for an MMO though =).

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute, do I know you from somewhere? The name TassadarZeratul sounds familiar... ah, yes, you are from SEN. Welcome to the greatest forum site on MMO-making, thanks for following my link =D.
_-= Official Noob Label -=_
For those with self esteem like mine =).
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Well it would be hard to make a MMO out of it unless you made it really expansive. There is a couple zombie mmos so it might work
http://www.deadfrontier.com/
http://www.zombiepandemic.com/index.aspx
and the ever famous
http://www.urbandead.com/
Viper

Post by Viper »

and zday!

www.zdaygame.com :)
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

This sorta reminds me zombie master. Which is a half life 2 mod. But I still like the concept :).
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
TassadarZeratul

Like the Nazi Zombies in CoD? What if your MMO turns out to be really successful and the makers of CoD found out you stole their idea? :shock:
It's actually pretty different from Nazi Zombies. For one thing, each class will have an expansive skill tree, and thinking/tactics are much more important than in Nazi Zombies. Plus it's top-down. There are some other differences as well (eg. there are plenty of zombie-free areas).
Besides that, what happens if the players all die?
Players can respawn at any un-infested town if they die with an XP penalty. The only way to lose the game is to have all of the towns get infested (which will probably happen eventually), at which point the game resets.
Do all the players share a huge fortress, or are they in separate teams?
There is a very expansive playing area with several towns in it, as well as a large "wilderness" area (not really a wilderness; "wilderness" in this case means anywhere that is not a town, such as on a highway). Players are not on separate teams.
What would the pvp be like?
Probably not supported. If it is, it will be in some sort of "training arena".
How the heck would a tazer work with mindless zombies (tazers interfere with the nervous system that controls the muscles, I doubt this would work if the zombies had no brain to control the nervous system in the first place)?
Zombies still have nervous systems. (I'm using the "scientific" zombie, which is created by a virus or something.)
EDIT: Hey, wait a minute, do I know you from somewhere? The name TassadarZeratul sounds familiar... ah, yes, you are from SEN. Welcome to the greatest forum site on MMO-making, thanks for following my link =D.
Yup, that's me. :)
towcar

Post by towcar »

Also reminds me of the Dawn of the Dead mod in CounterStrike lol
That would be cool, but I would be very picky on what I would want the game like. Since I think it would be easy to shoo me off. I would probably be really into the combat.
TassadarZeratul

towcar wrote:Also reminds me of the Dawn of the Dead mod in CounterStrike lol
That would be cool, but I would be very picky on what I would want the game like. Since I think it would be easy to shoo me off. I would probably be really into the combat.
Some notes on combat: You can only see in the direction your character (or a summoned unit) is facing. Large objects (eg. cars) will block your vision. Said large objects will also block weapons fire. Does that sound like something you'd like?
Jesusfreak

Post by Jesusfreak »

Ye, that makes sense.
_-= Official Noob Label -=_
For those with self esteem like mine =).
towcar

Post by towcar »

Yep, that sounds good.
Big thing is if the combat is like anything near Realmcrafter, where you click once and watch the fight. Then I would shoot the game :P
But that angle seems cool.

Return to “General Development”