My Career so far in Eclipse

RPG Maker, Eclipse, Xtreme Worlds, ect..
Jesusfreak

My Career so far in Eclipse

Post by Jesusfreak »

Ok, I've gotten eclipse and so far I've done decently on it.
Here's a screenie of my work if I can get it to attach...

Am I doing ok? What do I do next?
_-= Official Noob Label -=_
For those with self esteem like mine =).
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: My Career so far in Eclipse

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

nice you got it up and going. Now get you some art and start adding it. Hitting F1 brings up the admin panel and you can change the map, make weapons ect...
Jesusfreak

Post by Jesusfreak »

How do I get art?
Do I draw my own on paint or is there a place I go to get it?

I kinda suck at drawing but paint has nice, pixelly graphics =D.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

there are tons of places on the net, google rpg maker resources.
Jesusfreak

Post by Jesusfreak »

And is it ok to borrow stuff from those sites and still not be considered a cookie-cutter MMO?
I don't want to be cookie-cutter D=.

Oh, and another couple things I noticed...
It said something about word bubbles somewhere in Eclipse... is there a way I can disable word bubbles for speech? I HATE it when text shows up in the screen (except for the message box where it's supposed to show), it clutters the screen, makes stuff hard to see, and sometimes causes lag.

Is there a way to create different races on Eclipse, besides the possibility of making all the classes look different and have vastly different abilities and such (as if they were races)? I don't like humans, if I put them in my MMO at all, it'll be as annoying npcs XD.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

there is a txt file called classes in your server directory of the eclipse folder. Edit it with notepad and you can add classes. Best to do a search at eclipse forums though.

Word bubbles will probably be a source edit not sure. Once again might want to ask at forums.

You can use graphics from the net as long as you use them right.
Jesusfreak

Post by Jesusfreak »

But is there a way I can make it create races, like just about every standard MMO out there has? Or do I just have to make the classes act like races? That'd be kinda bad, since it would mean that each race only has one class...

EDIT: Er, what do you mean by use the graphics right??? Can you only use them for certain things or something?

EDIT2: Gah, some features in Eclipse I definitely will need to change:
The chat commands are all wierd (ie, ! for PMs instead of /).
Emoticons display an actual smiley instead of showing text describing the emotion (text is more fun, doesn't spam the screen, and makes it easier to allow players to create custom emotes like they could in WoW).
Is there a way I can make blocks only apply to certain players/npcs? What if I want to add a flying/swimming ability?
Character sprites can only be 32x32 pixels?!? Way too small, what if I wanted to make, say, a dragon race that had to be larger or an insectoid race that had to be smaller? And npcs can only be 32x32 or 64x64? What if I wanted to make a gigantic elephant boss that took up the space of several players (as most elephants probably would)?

Will I be able to change EVERYTHING in scripting?

EDIT3: Er, I googled "rpg maker resources" like you said, it's not turning up anything useful... and didn't you also say it was illegal to use stuff from rpgmaker in a game not made by the rpgmaker engine?
Jesusfreak

Post by Jesusfreak »

Those didn't help at all :lol: .

The first one didn't lead to any images, and the others were all the same cartoonish graphics that I hate. Yes, cartoonish, that's the word I've been looking for... I HATE cartoonish graphics. Anything that looks remotely close to what Eclipse comes with by default is probably bad.
Where can I get graphics like the ones you showed me? :ugeek:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

you cant, you have to make them.

Return to “2D engines”