My mmorpg project

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
andrecorreia

My mmorpg project

Post by andrecorreia »

Hey guys! :wink:

I'm here I'll tell you my idea for my project:

1 - is a superhero - mmorpg (because the existing ones are paid) :?

2 - I do not know the name you'll give.

3 - I do not know what engine I use (so I ask for your help)

4 - I'll have to model and animate characters, and scripting ..

5 - Please help me with this project because I was incredibly in is developing a concept, and will fight to get ready!

thanks! :D
Callan S.

Re: My mmorpg project

Post by Callan S. »

It might be easier to start with making a browser game to begin with? You only need to watch the first five video's and use this moduleI made and you've got something working in a short time.

I think the big question is, do you want to work on something that you can genuinely play in two years from now, but might give up on due to life events? Or make something that you can actually play in one or two months? If the latter, make a browser game first.

Better to have made something small and having completed a game it than shoot for something really big over and over and over and yet never complete anything.

If you make a small browser game in a short time, you can always make the bigger game after! Just advice because I think what your talking about could be done in a small browser game to a fair extent, and I'd like to see it :)
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

he is wanting to use RC which is only going to have him quit before he finishes. RC is extremely outdated and buggy. It is so linear in design it is hard to break the mold. It uses blitz which is a SLOOOOOW language. For a simple Multiplayer RPG for a few friends RC is PERFECT, if you are looking for a full blown MMORPG that you will advertise I suggest something better. TMMOKIT and T3D for instance. Latest greatest graphics with a stable proven mmo kit. Can't beat it!

Latest from my project using it, a very much so WIP

andrecorreia

Post by andrecorreia »

thank you to all! ;)

i don't want a simple browser game because i'll have a lot of work with his development and nobody want to play.

i want 3d mmorpg, and yes realm crafter its to "simply and buggy" and i want better to my game.

hallsofvallhalla what engine you use to your project? :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

andrecorreia wrote: i don't want a simple browser game because i'll have a lot of work with his development and nobody want to play.

hah omg now this is funny. We are a forum that is based 80% on browser based games and you tell us that no one wants to play a browser based game.

Get your facts straight, more people play browser based games than any other PC based games. Period.

Dark Orbit a browser game has over 38 million users. They can account for 60 million have registered at some point. That is more than any 3d mmorpg to date.

Habbo also a browser game -

Code: Select all

As of June 2008 over 118 million avatars have been registered. There are an average 8 million unique visitors monthly,[1]  and 75,000 avatars are being created every day
find me a client based 3d MMORPG to get close to that!

shockwave browser game MaidMarian
MaidMarian.com attracts over 1.3 million unique visitors a month with up to 4,000 simultaneous players at a time logged into the multiplayer games.
Urban Dead has 15,000 to 20,000 active players
with a total of 1,758,023 players and it costs about 2% of a 3d mmorpg to make and to host

I am using Torque 3D
andrecorreia

Post by andrecorreia »

lol this is reality! and for example runescape it's a browser game. :lol:

now, my project.. do you are interested to help me? (please) :roll:

take my email: felipe_correia@msn.com
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

um so is this... what? you think no one here can get a few thousand players with a web game? of course they can! It is a reality!

It is is far easier than a 3d game....

Ok wait even better. You want to create a 3d MMORPG super hero game that takes normal companies millions of dollars and years of work? And you have no knowledge of even where to begin? The reality is you need to start with something much more simple than you are. You are years away from a completed game. Do you have the patience and drive to work on one game for several years?

Before anyone will help you with your game especially a 3d one you must have several things

1. Game design document
2. Website with forums
3. Experience building games or making fantastic models or excellent level design with examples
4. A good solid engine

Everyone has a game idea..EVERYONE..most people have 10, they are a dime a dozen.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I definitely agree with Halls. I don't believe you know what you are getting yourself in to to try to create a 3D MMORPG that could attract players. It takes the help of a lot of people, and if you are inexperienced in game development, it will be an uphill battle to get anyone skilled enough to help on your team.

I started wanting to make a 3D MMORPG, but realized a long time ago that was not the path I wanted to take. It takes a lot of financial commitment for the servers, tools, engine, and misc. art assets, it takes a fairly large, dedicated, organized art team to be able to make the bulk of the content (look around in your favorite 3D MMO. Every model you see took a professional at least a day to model, and some took up to 2 weeks), it takes a team of writers and scripters to create all the quests, it takes a couple of very experienced database and server administrators to cluster servers to hold enough people to make a realm feel populated, it will take a couple of years at best to even get to alpha, etc. It is a massive undertaking, even with an engine. But making a browser game is so much easier that one person alone could make a simple one in only a couple of months! You just get to focus on the fun parts of development, which is working on game logic.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

http://indiegamesguild.com/hallsofvallh ... me-career/

a good post on my Blog about 3d MMORPG projects

not trying to dismay you from making a game. It is very possible. Just understand what you are getting in to
rockinliam

Post by rockinliam »

If you are going to go down the road of a 3D mmo, then i think you should just go for a small world map made with RC and make a really small but well thought out game, give it some silly quests and an interesting story, remove some of the grind that you get in games like WoW and RS... if you succeed in doing this and make an interesting game, then release it to your friends and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

But you are not going to make a full on game without years of hard work and a well bonded team. So my advice is to make something small and interesting, with something like RC or Torque instead of trying for the big time.

Also on the point of browser based games, i love them and they do have a massive share of the market and i think that the future of browser games is very bright indeed for them.
Skillset: C/C++, OpenGL, C#, Lua, PHP, MySql, Web Dev etc.

Return to “General Development”