.net engines

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
Jackolantern

Re: .net engines

Post by Jackolantern »

greed460 wrote:I say just spend the extra 3-4 months and make a decent engine yourself... It's always better to use what you made than what someone else made.
Not really. That is called "reinventing the wheel". Good programmers always look to leverage the work of others before wasting time re-writing it themselves.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Falken

Post by Falken »

Jackolantern wrote:
greed460 wrote:I say just spend the extra 3-4 months and make a decent engine yourself... It's always better to use what you made than what someone else made.
Not really. That is called "reinventing the wheel". Good programmers always look to leverage the work of others before wasting time re-writing it themselves.
That is generally good.

But I do my own in XNA because I wanna learn every side of XNA and master it. It is a great learning experience, but it all depends on what you want out of your project. If you already are quite good with a language and wanna learn more writing your own engine is a great idea, but if you want to finish a game within resonable time, then it is better to go with complete engine.
--- Game Database ---
For all your game information needs!
Visit us at: http://www.gamedatabase.eu today!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I can see that. Writing your own engine as a learning experience is a good idea, whereas it is usually not a good idea to assume one will write a better engine than anything they could download and be able to do it quickly and easily.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “3d Engines”