The game I want to build

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

The game I want to build

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So I have been playing with web browser languages and testing out code and it all boils down to the type of game I want to make. I want to build a game where I develop the storyline as I go. Where players become part of the world and develop their characters through PVE and PVP. Where they build them off of experience and choices between character levels. Something advanced yet simple. I do not want a game where they must download a huge file then have to fight with their operating system to make it work. I want nice enough graphics to appeal to the players yet nothing that must blow them away. It seems like all of us want this but how do we achieve? Where is that middle ground where we say, "yeah, this engine/language has what I need and what it doesnt I can substitute for another idea". When does it all fall into place?

Hmm quite a conundrum that may never be solved.
Falken

Re: The game I want to build

Post by Falken »

Irrlicht? Works on most platforms, they even got it to work on iPhone :P

And for the "big download" what is a big download? With today's connection speeds I would say that is above 5-10GB atleast. And you can keep a great game below that size :)
--- Game Database ---
For all your game information needs!
Visit us at: http://www.gamedatabase.eu today!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

My mouth waters for Irrlicht but I am not going to pretend I have the knowledge to use it for I dont. I have never been a C++ guy. Maybe one day but I have a few things to learn in front of it. SilverLight, C, ASP. :)

Everytime I get started on a game or I think I know what I want I always fall back of a vision of the game I really want and notice how I am missing a few features here and there. Its like something is always left out. You can master one aspect of the game but completely fail on another. Very irritating at times.
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Well you can use Irrlicht with other languages. You don't have to use C++ to make a great game. Regardless of what people will tell you. You can use Irrlicht with Blitzmax, Blitz3d,C#. Just to name a few.
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
Falken

Post by Falken »

Raven67854 wrote:Well you can use Irrlicht with other languages. You don't have to use C++ to make a great game. Regardless of what people will tell you. You can use Irrlicht with Blitzmax, Blitz3d,C#. Just to name a few.
Ye but unfortunalty many of those "wrappers" are far behind the C++ version, for example the .NET wrapper is discontinued since about ½ year back :(
--- Game Database ---
For all your game information needs!
Visit us at: http://www.gamedatabase.eu today!
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Yeah I know but its still usable. The Blitzmax wrapper is up to date. And yeah the .net version is discontinued which is a shame I was kinda hoping it was gonna get picked up again.
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

me and falken actually used the .net wrapper about a year ago or so. Many problems. The blitzmax wrapper is pretty kewl though.

Return to “General Development”