2d client/browser hybrid

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

2d client/browser hybrid

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So while taking a break from video tutorials I started goofing with my old eclipse source.

I wonder the success chance of making a 2d mmo, client not browser based but then attaching a website where the character can be viewed and other parts of the game commensed. Like crafting, politics, account maintenance, ect.. You need to play the client version but both version link to the same character and account.

I have found taking 3d models and screen capturing them makes for better looks too. This is a quick job.

Jackolantern

Re: 2d client/browser hybrid

Post by Jackolantern »

I believe a couple of games have done that, where you can access the character database in some meaningful ways from the game website. I know that EQ had a feature a bit later in its life where you could chat with your in-game friends from the EQ website.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Genaga

Post by Genaga »

This would be incredibly easy if you convert eclipse to use sql a bit of effort but quite easy. More time consuming then anything. Then do a php housekeeping type system.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yeah kinda what I was thinking. Mix in my method of playing it through a browser and someone might have something. Problem is the artwork. its so hard to get enough 2d artwork to fill a mmo like that.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You could use Reiner's Spriteset. It is pretty nice for being royalty-free for personal and commercial use. And there is enough there to pretty much fill up a small MMO.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

There's some nice sprites on that site!

I was looking for some freeware images to use as icons, so instead of [look] next to a name, I could put a small pic of an eye, etc. I'll have to browse through his stuff later :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

everyone uses those. Used way too much.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I'm just looking for placeholder stuff for now - I'll make my own later on, probably during beta testing :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:everyone uses those. Used way too much.
I think it depends on where you are looking for players. As a player outside of the 2D game making communities, I doubt anyone has ever seen them used (I haven't). Of course within the Eclipse community, they will have likely seen them several times, but those are not likely to be long, or even short-term players.
ZeroComp

Post by ZeroComp »

I'm really getting into eclipse and downloaded a lot of sprites but none of them included that. Where'd you get em?
Coding-PHP, Javascript, C++, HTML, mySQL
Modeling/Art-Blender, GIMP
Games-Unity, Game Maker 8

Return to “Game Design”