Thinking of a contest

Indie-Resource announcements, news and any site discussion.
D3luxe

Re: Thinking of a contest

Post by D3luxe »

SpiritWebb wrote:I'm thinking maybe:

Game demos whether be playable or not (if not, then screenshots showing game progress)

These can be in any catagory:

Genre (Sci-fi, fantasy, etc)
Software (Open source - Blender, Unity Free, Unreal)
Software (Not open source - RC, Unity Pro, etc)
Theme

Rules could be:

You have to create everything to the best of your ability and if you didn't create it, then you have to specify where you got it and if there is a copyright on it. Basically, if you were to present it to someone how would you do it, and judge it that way

We used to do this back in high school, though we were given the software to create. The object was to create whatever software you think would be a great seller, then had to create the software box in a presentable fasion and then judged with 3 software companies that were local that came down.
----------------
Contest App:

Genre:
Theme:
Software used:
Game rated (R, PG, PG-13, etc):
Assets (Created by you or otherwise, please specify):
Is this game playable? (Yes, please provide link or file to test; No - please provide screenshots of your current standing)

Brief storyline:
Controls:
MMO or single player:
Would you continue to build this game until the end?
What are your strong points in creating this game?
What are your weak points in creating this game?
Other:

_____
How I would do it!
I LOVE this idea..mainly cause I've had the itch to make a game lately, and this'll get me moving! :)
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
ZeroComp

Post by ZeroComp »

I'd love a custom tutorial. In that case better fire up Blender and work on an fps then.
Coding-PHP, Javascript, C++, HTML, mySQL
Modeling/Art-Blender, GIMP
Games-Unity, Game Maker 8
MAruz

Post by MAruz »

How about a contest in creating tutorials rather than a game? Choose a software / topic to write / record a tutorial on (the tutorials should be aimed at helping new and avid game developers learn new stuff).
PHP, Java, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, XML, MySQL / Oracle
Photoshop, Illustrator
www.cuddly-zombie.com
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

MAruz wrote:How about a contest in creating tutorials rather than a game? Choose a software / topic to write / record a tutorial on (the tutorials should be aimed at helping new and avid game developers learn new stuff).
I actually really like this idea. Almost everyone knows something about game development at some level that they can write a tutorial on. Even if it is something non-software related, like game story writing. It will also be easier for busier community members (such as those firing up another semester of school) to participate, unlike how time consuming creating a game would be.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Jackolantern wrote:
MAruz wrote:How about a contest in creating tutorials rather than a game? Choose a software / topic to write / record a tutorial on (the tutorials should be aimed at helping new and avid game developers learn new stuff).
I actually really like this idea. Almost everyone knows something about game development at some level that they can write a tutorial on. Even if it is something non-software related, like game story writing. It will also be easier for busier community members (such as those firing up another semester of school) to participate, unlike how time consuming creating a game would be.
This could actually be more feasible...and could be a lot wider range on what it could be for...

My question would be, what good FREE software out there would allow the recording of doing such tutorial. I do not own this kind of software...

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

hmm this is actually a great idea. I will look into some options.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If we can't find free video capture software to use, what about allowing just written tutorials like the good ole' days? EDIT: Anyone can use ctrl+print screen and paint to save a whole bunch of pictures if they are required.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Jackolantern wrote:If we can't find free video capture software to use, what about allowing just written tutorials like the good ole' days? EDIT: Anyone can use ctrl+print screen and paint to save a whole bunch of pictures if they are required.
All saved in either a .zip file or .rar file...maybe?!

OldRod

Post by OldRod »

My first web site was a site with tutorials on how to edit Quake levels. It was hosted on GeoCities, back before anyone had even heard of GeoCities :)

We didn't have fancy video capture software back then - I used text and screenshots... and I *liked* it!

My site grew and got picked up by the Telefragged web site so I had a better hosting setup. I hosted that site for close to 5 years, expanding on to other games (Quake2, Half-life, etc.) Ah, those were the days.

I plan on doing some tutorials once I get into areas that Halls hasn't already thoroughly covered - so yeah, I'd support that idea :)
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

I'd be up for a writing a tutorial. I'd probably go for either writing a state machine for Flash, or a Unity tut..Hmmm
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM

Return to “Announcements and Site Discussion”