Indie-Resource Gold

Indie-Resource announcements, news and any site discussion.

How do you feel abot this?

Total votes: 0

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Indie-Resource Gold

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

It seems that the Urban Realms Sale may not work out as planned so that got me thinking.

How would everyone feel about this idea:

I would like to raise some money to help pay for hosting and for prizes and a Developer of the year award along with a few other awards and contests. I was think of taking all my browser games and making tutorials and releasing them in a package. The package would be $5-$10 but would be around 3-5 hours worth of tutorials and 3-5 browser games with source. I would include:

Planetary wars 1 and 2 tutorials, art, and source
Forsaken Sanctum 1 and 2 tutorials, art, and source
Urban Realms tutorials, art, and source
Ajax/javascript tutorials
other misc tutorials

you would get all these games plus tutorials on how to edit them and how they were made. All for a low price of around $5 to $10. This money would go towards Indie-Resource and contest and such. Please give honest votes and honest comments.
Last Known Hero

Re: Indie-Resource Gold

Post by Last Known Hero »

To be honest, I was thinking that it would give more incentive for people to enter contests. I would not be interested in the source and things like that but I would be more than happy to pitch in $10 to go towards a few contests. The only problem is that I can only pay via paypal. I would suggest that if you decide to do this and people start to pitch in money to hold off on a contest, until we get a few more people around here.

There would have to be a few contests this year atleast though, just so everyone has a chance to win. I cannot enter coding contests so I'm pretty screw as far as a contest for that goes.

I likey. (PS. Sent you a PM too)
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

I'd do it, but I personally wouldn't have use for them.

Though if I have money I might pay for it, just to help out the site :)
Perry

Post by Perry »

I would gladly pay for this stuff. If for no other reason just to support the site, but I am interested in all that stuff so for me its a win both ways.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I would certainly pay for all of it...with your knowledge of what you show, its worth it. All the tutorials to even help people start moving along and pointing them in the right direction to making browser-games, I feel its worth a lot more then $10, but thats mho.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thanks for all the support and replies!

I want to leave it cheap as possible. I am not in this to make money. I just want to give back to the community here and i think this would be a great way.

This will also help support another idea I had. Many of you are students or developers looking to get jobs in the game industry. Every little thing helps. We recently hired a analyst at my work and when I was looking over his resume I was impressed by a award he had. It was "Strategy Coordinator of the year" from a business site, which sounded pretty professional. Early this week after he was hired, I looked up the site and low and behold it was just a small forums and site where professionals gather to talk about tactics in the workplace. The site was no bigger than us.

Anyways I got to thinking, why the hell can't I give out certificates and small prizes for

Developer of the Year 2009
presented by Indie-Resource for your continual effort to strive in game development and blah blah

Project of the Year 2009
presented by Indie-Resource for excelling in Project design and implementation blah bah blah

Contributor of The Year 2009

presented by Indie-Resource for contributing time, resources, and knowledge of game development and blah blah

These may not be much but might be a nice touch on a resume and in general presentation of your skills when joining a team. Just an idea, it may be stupid.

I am really serious about this Gold package though and am going to start right away.
ZeroComp

Post by ZeroComp »

What are the payment options :)
Coding-PHP, Javascript, C++, HTML, mySQL
Modeling/Art-Blender, GIMP
Games-Unity, Game Maker 8
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

probably pay pal, will work that out later but also thinking about a $3 a month fee instead that will include updates to the games and better service for help.
ZeroComp

Post by ZeroComp »

whats the $3 a month for (what site?)?
Coding-PHP, Javascript, C++, HTML, mySQL
Modeling/Art-Blender, GIMP
Games-Unity, Game Maker 8
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Its a option I am considering. Instead of paying $10 for the mass collection, you could pay $3 a month and get access to the all the videos but I would also update the games, provide assistance with problems and add features the community wanted.

It would not be for Indie-Resource :) Indie-Resource is always free with no ads :)

Return to “Announcements and Site Discussion”