Poly Count

Keep it clean but fun.
Last Known Hero

Poly Count

Post by Last Known Hero »

I don't know where to put this but i guess this will do. I have a basic character mesh made, I've already UVMapped it and textured it, it has taken my 2 weeks or so. Now I feel that the poly count may be too high for MMOs (it's not too high for RPGs). I've tried using Multires tool in Max to cut the count down but it distorts the model and groups tri's like quads and creates nasty sharp edges.. So I am asking you if 7038 tris is too much for an MMO? If it is please tell me what you think an appropriate number would be.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
towcar

Re: Poly Count

Post by towcar »

That, if not too many, would be a good limit. Test it out, it depends alot on the strength of the server, players, and engine.

If you can see if you can cut down some poly's by hand, for example under his feet. You should have little polys there since nobody is really looking there. Unless they have a wierd foot fetish. Then you probably don't want that kind in your game haha
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

Last Known Hero wrote:I don't know where to put this but i guess this will do. I have a basic character mesh made, I've already UVMapped it and textured it, it has taken my 2 weeks or so. Now I feel that the poly count may be too high for MMOs (it's not too high for RPGs). I've tried using Multires tool in Max to cut the count down but it distorts the model and groups tri's like quads and creates nasty sharp edges.. So I am asking you if 7038 tris is too much for an MMO? If it is please tell me what you think an appropriate number would be.
7038 is probably double what an MMO charater should have. WoW characters, though they have many many LoD's, generally have between 2000 and 3500 polys. Personally I would try to get it under 4k polys.

I mean it is possible that you can keep the 7k poly model with a lot of LoD's, but either way even if you make LoD's you'll still have to cut down on polys, so you might as well make the highest LoD a lower poly count anyway.
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
towcar

Post by towcar »

Well if You have half the content as a WoW, and Half the Players, and the same server. You might be Ok :P
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

towcar wrote:Well if You have half the content as a WoW, and Half the Players, and the same server. You might be Ok :P
Same server as WoW..I lol'd.
# Blizzard Online Network Services run in 10 data centers around the world, including facilities in Washington, California, Texas, Massachusetts, France, Germany, Sweden, South Korea, China, and Taiwan.
# Blizzard uses 20,000 systems and 1.3 petabytes of storage to power its gaming operations.
# WoW’s infrastructure includes 13,250 server blades, 75,000 CPU cores, and 112.5 terabytes of blade RAM.
# The Blizzard network is managed by a staff of 68 people.
go ahead, run the same server as WoW. I dare ya. :)
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

It's not for me, I'm not making MMOs, I was just thinking of starting to make 3D Character Packs... I'll just cut poly counts I guess
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

Last Known Hero wrote:It's not for me, I'm not making MMOs, I was just thinking of starting to make 3D Character Packs... I'll just cut poly counts I guess
Well either way you go, I'd highly recommend making a couple LoD's (which will make more people want your pack, too), and to do so I'd recommend a lower base model anyway.
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM

Return to “Off-Topic”