Fault - Animation

Models, Sprites, Concept, ect...
D3luxe

Re: Fault - Animation

Post by D3luxe »

That last shot looks nice.

I run 2010 on my computer, but the school computers only have 2009. If you can revert it that'd be great, but its not needed.
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

New shot hopefully up by tonight, the longest render that I have ever done without my computer crashing.. so far.. it has been going for almost 2 hours now... hoping it will turn out good. No work from 9pm-ish to I don't know, UFC is on and I'm not goin to be working on it during the fights.

Also, do to the major amount of polys, I might have to try to green screen render this sucker. I will make a pass that renders the camera movement with the buildings, then make a pass that will render the cars/person/zombies all over top of a green screen using the same camera and then match move it and hopefully gain a crap load of experience!

**EDIT* Nevermind, it crashed.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Last Known Hero

Lol risky move on my part. Last night I got to thinking, I know a render farm has tons and tons of CPUs jumpin around but I figured.. "Hey, I do alot of the rendering here, actually, all of it. Why not get myself a few computers that I can sync with and speed it up, even if its just a little".. and I proceeded this morning to contact a few people that were selling the same processor that I have and I am waiting to hear back, I also made sure to check out the same amount of motherboards that are compatible - Hooray for having and older computer that makes it so my CPUs and Motherboards only cost $50 or less!

I will get back with some more renders soon.. the last render of 1 044 240 polys and 1064 284 verts took me 1:45:36 to render it, so I'm not gonna be doing alot of rendering as of now.
Power3DArt

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

You get it all synced up, let me know how that goes...so I can do the same with my PC's at the house! :)

Last Known Hero

SpiritWebb wrote:You get it all synced up, let me know how that goes...so I can do the same with my PC's at the house! :)
Will do :) I am not too worried about this being a waste of money, the cluster computer that I am building will be like $50 cause I am searching online and Kijiji to find the cheapest ones I can find, then my AMD 64 X2 processor isn't expensive so I found one of those for $30 on Kijiji. If it doesn't work then I buy a moderate graphics card and sell it to a friend LOL.

From what I have been reading the computers must have the same processor, if this is untrue please someone let me know :) I will keep you guys updated though. (this animation project has slowly turned into a render farm project!)
Power3DArt

D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

Last Known Hero wrote:
SpiritWebb wrote:You get it all synced up, let me know how that goes...so I can do the same with my PC's at the house! :)
Will do :) I am not too worried about this being a waste of money, the cluster computer that I am building will be like $50 cause I am searching online and Kijiji to find the cheapest ones I can find, then my AMD 64 X2 processor isn't expensive so I found one of those for $30 on Kijiji. If it doesn't work then I buy a moderate graphics card and sell it to a friend LOL.

From what I have been reading the computers must have the same processor, if this is untrue please someone let me know :) I will keep you guys updated though. (this animation project has slowly turned into a render farm project!)
AFAIK you don't need to run the same processor.

Read this as a guide..It covers pretty much everything you need to run a render farm.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 797,00.asp

One of the most valuable pieces of advice I've read in that though is this:
First, the number of CPUs on a render farm impacts performance more than the combined clock speed of the CPUs. Nine 1-GHz machines chained together will render much faster than three 3-GHz systems, so don't rule out a find on the basis of its wimpy-sounding processor speed.
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
Last Known Hero

oooooh man you just made my day with that post! I am going to be asking my school if they have any junk computers (we just won 1 million dollars for being the most ecofriendly) so we are getting some new ones. Now I see if I can get free ones :D and I'm buying whatever now.. thought I had to buy AMD Athlon 64 X2 this whole time...
Power3DArt

Last Known Hero

actually that kinda sucks at the same time though.. ill have to have alot of compuer cases for it to affect it alot.. wish they had small (very small) cases. I might make some custom ones, we'll see.
Power3DArt

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Interesting!! :)

D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

Last Known Hero wrote:oooooh man you just made my day with that post! I am going to be asking my school if they have any junk computers (we just won 1 million dollars for being the most ecofriendly) so we are getting some new ones. Now I see if I can get free ones :D and I'm buying whatever now.. thought I had to buy AMD Athlon 64 X2 this whole time...
Heh, glad I could help. A school is a great place to get new computers, they dump them by the truck loads.
Last Known Hero wrote:actually that kinda sucks at the same time though.. ill have to have alot of compuer cases for it to affect it alot.. wish they had small (very small) cases. I might make some custom ones, we'll see.
You'll like the electricity bill from it all too, lol. Just create a wall out of computers and you should be set :P

Even just a few (3-4 not including your main work PC) should improve your render times a lot.

I thought this was interesting too..I looked up some stuff about Pixar's render farm and found this:
During Ratatouille, the renderfarm consisted of about 850 machines with nearly 3200 processors between them. When rendering the final Ratatouille film frames on a 2.66 GHz processor, each frame took an average of six hours. It took about 1532 CPU-years to render Ratatouille, including the lower-resolution renders done at various points in the pipeline and working iterations. That means that if we only had one CPU in the renderfarm, Ratatouille wouldn’t have been released until the year 3539. To store the images generated while making the movie, we used 12 terabytes of disk space.
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM

Return to “Art Showoff”