Favorite type of RPG

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Favorite type of RPG

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Just curious on the kinds of RPGs everyone enjoys playing
2d MMORPG
3d MMORPG
2d Browser Based(single player)
3d Browser Based(single player)
Roguelike
Tablet, PC, or Phone?

ect.. What elements and features are your favorite?

I have noticed steam recently selling games made with RPG maker. Would you ever consider buying or playing them? Have you? What about a browser based one?
Gunner

Re: Favorite type of RPG

Post by Gunner »

I like both the 2d and 3d rpgs, but no browser game. To me browser games feel a bit off and dead.

as the elements I like the open-world'ness, it's awesome! and how I can still go around and still find interesting things to do even if have completed the main story.

also, screw difficult games and/or grinding based stuff.

edit: e.g I tried FF3 on android and its only okay. still based on grinding and story and game seems restricted. then moved to ff4 and turned out it was one of the dumbest things I ever played. So dead difficult, the priest or whatever in the beginning was only like 80 hp while the average dmg monsters dealt was like 60 something, grinding based, slow, etc, and u cant save inside a dungeon and when ur dead the game is over. stupid. overrated imo

ff3 was easier to me coz i spent like hours that time if im not mistaken just to go around and slay cockroaches to grind
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

oh and I play ff3 on android and ff4 on my NDS.

and I don't think I will buy rpg maker games, unless they are heavily customized and they put some things that I find cool like the golf thingy on GTA V :P
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I like the 2.5D or 3D MMO, but like the 3D space MMO like Star Trek Online.

I play "Second Life", "STO", and sometimes "Archlord"

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I like 2D RPGs. Not too into 3D anymore. I am fine with browser games as long as they aren't completely text-based using HTML form elements.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Jackolantern wrote:I am fine with browser games as long as they aren't completely text-based using HTML form elements.
Well, that's me out, then! lol!
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Well, here are my opinions, whether they mean anything is up to you, the reader.

I have grown up with video games. I have seen everything from your cartridge based systems up to your current consoles, as well as PC systems since an IBM XT (I think) up into your Pentiums, then multi-core processors like today. I remember the battle of the video cards, where Nvidia was born. Needless to say, I have grown up on games and continue to play games today. Only God can tell me how many hours I have spent playing video games, would translate into years of my life.

Lately what I focus on is games that have good gameplay. I enjoy games where mechanically they are easy to figure out, and then it takes a very long time to master the game. I enjoy games that have a storyline to help you along, but I also enjoy open worlds to allow you to deviate and do what you want within the game environment.

The graphical technology in my opinion matters, but only to visually display what I'm looking at. For example, you could have a MUD that would describe equipment, situations, etc. in words. Yes, you get to use your own imagination in those instances, but I always like to see what the game developer had in their mind when they came up with the game. Therefore I like to see the art that is intended. I would say 2D as a minimum, and no better than a decent 3d to make everything look good, but not too good to disallow playing due to frame rates.

Browser games/phone games, I just don't play them. There are only a couple games I play on my phone. Book of Heroes (Reminds me of the good old AD&D days.) and Hay Day (Daughter and wife dragged me in on this one.). For my PC, I play games, but I play to record and post to YouTube. In my stage of life, with my family and other aspects that are very important, my time is very limited to sit at the PC to play. I like games where I can hit the record button, play the game, keep it all interesting, finish, stop recording, do some edits, upload. I'm no great YouTuber, as I wouldn't want to be as this is all for fun. I can only imagine if I had to do it as a job and the attention spans of many subscribers out there don't help.

Anyways, not sure if this helps at all.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Callan S. wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:I am fine with browser games as long as they aren't completely text-based using HTML form elements.
Well, that's me out, then! lol!
I definitely don't want to say that I am totally against them (I know they are a popular genre to make here, and are about the only kind of MMO within the reach of many lone wolves). More that I don't like the way a lot of them have gone. There are two main camps: either the newly emerging big, commercial PBBGs where the artwork is fantastic, but the gameplay is a glorified and repetitive version of wack-a-mole, or they are the indie PBBGs that tend to either go very superficial and anti-immersive or they rely on "Energy", where you can only act so many times in a day. All of the above are not for me.

There are still tons of frontiers to cross when it comes to text-based PBBGs, but it seems a lot of the creativity that used to be seen in this genre is slipping away and a "template" for how to be successful is becoming apparent. I just don't happen to like that template.

But if a game has a totally new take on PBBGs, and maybe works in some of the new HTML5-related web technologies such as WebSockets, I will definitely try it out!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Most game development companies today

Xaos

Post by Xaos »

I don't know that I have a favorite type of RPG. I guess anything that's fun, but I've mostly been playing 3D RPGs (Skyrim, Zelda, etc)

Return to “Game Design”