Dennis MUD

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Seisatsu

Dennis MUD

Post by Seisatsu »

Hello! It seems like this place is very slow nowadays, but I've always posted updates about my biggest projects here so here goes.

Introducing Dennis MUD, the Multi-player Text Adventure Sandbox Server! I have been working on it for about half a year, and it is a complete rewrite of an older, similar project of mine by the same name from many years ago which didn't get nearly as far. Dennis is a MUD written in Python 3 with Twisted and Autobahn, and using MongoDB. Unlike your average MUD, Dennis is a collaborative writing exercise, from the conversations between players down to the very structure of the world. A game world starts with a single, empty room, and from there players can use in-game commands to add new rooms, exits, and items, and describe them. A true sandbox, Dennis lets players cooperatively create a world from scratch and explore each others' realms.

Dennis is in late pre-alpha, but has a very decent featureset already, and is perfectly usable, if a little rough around the edges. It includes a Websockets server and browser client, a Telnet server, and a command-line singleplayer frontend. A test instance is kept running which you are all free to check out; it is a sizable world with a few semi-regular players. More information is available on that page, the discussion thread linked from it, and on the Github.

Dennis is inspired by ifMUD, a very old MUD with a similar concept but a much more complex control system, and which is not open source.

Test Instance: http://dream.uboachan.net/
Github: https://github.com/seisatsu/Dennis/
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Dennis MUD

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very neat! i played around on it a bit. Very cool. Would recommend pressing the up arrow brings up last command

Not a lot of chatting going on here much anymore but definitely still a ton of visits monthly.
Seisatsu

Post by Seisatsu »

Yes, navigating command history with the up/down arrows is a planned feature, but it's a little bit harder than it looks and Javascript isn't my best language. I will get around to it eventually.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

couldn't you just store it in an array then have a listener for the up key as well as a counter everytime you hit it and it counts through the array every time you hit the key?
Seisatsu

Post by Seisatsu »

Yeah, I tried to copy some code that did that just for the up key that I found, but I ran into some problem when trying to also make it work with the down key, and I got frustrated and put it aside. I don't remember what the issue is, but I'm just going to have to hunker down and start over. It might end up being easier to write the code from scratch.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Cool, definitely keep us updated.
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I wouldn’t know how to in python but if you wanted to handle it in the html file you could try something like:

Code: Select all

let consoleLine = [];
let consoleLinesCounter = 0;
let consileString = '';
function keyHandler(event) {
 // switch is better
  if(event.keyCode == 38) { //didn’t check bu I think that’s up
    consoleString = consoleLine[consoleLinesCounter];
    consoleLinesCounter++;
  }
  // do the same for down arrow but change it to —
}