Need help with small project

Place to place any code snippets, completed games, or even uncompleted games for IR users to use.
gallopinggiraffe

Need help with small project

Post by gallopinggiraffe »

So I am currently learning ActionScript 3(Please do not mention how old it is lol) and C# to move to a different position where I work. They want me to make a program that sends data from a local database using C# and have AS3 display whatever is in the database

I am having a hard time finding info on how to do this so any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
a_bertrand

Re: Need help with small project

Post by a_bertrand »

I'm not an expert of AS3, but you should be able to have some sort of timer on AS3 and then request a WEBAPI / Webpage which serves your data. You should also be able to have some sort of TCP connection but there I don't know AS3 enough to even know how that could be called.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

AS3..i just threw up in my mouth a little. hahah kidding.

cant you use sockets?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/428 ... -questions

looks like a good tutorial for c# to as3
https://jacksondunstan.com/articles/2872
gallopinggiraffe

Post by gallopinggiraffe »

I appreciate the help guys. I am extremely new to this stuff so it's like a foreign language. On the sockets would I just past the path to my local database or no?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

you would path the response from c# to AS3, so I assume do all your db stuff on the c# side then pass response to AS3 via sockets.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh man, I wish I had seen this earlier. I hope this guy is learning Flex. If he is learning AS3 through the Flash route this is going to be a pile of pain.

I actually liked AS3. A lot really. Typescript is essentially AS3 with a slightly different syntax.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Code Sharing”