Facebook Malware SCAM

Keep it clean but fun.

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am

Facebook may be huge, but I definitely don't think they can do anything. Like I mentioned before, I really have no idea what caused you to see this on FB, but if they tried this even nation-wide, it would cause a mass-exodus to another social network. Probably Google+.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby vitinho444 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:41 am

Nah, I'm not sure that would cause a mass-exodus. Not everyone has tech knowledge to know what's happening when you download their tool. 99% of people will just download it to get in as soon as possible.
And maybe they are doing some bucket-testing (A-B testing) and see the reactions and what happens.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

vitinho444

Postby Jackolantern » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Most people wouldn't know what was going on, but the media would explode all over it. It would be a huge story, and most non-tech people will be outraged because the people on the news are outraged.

If it is A-B testing, you are in a very, very tiny group. I know Facebook uses DevOps, "Feature Toggles" and "Dark Releases", so perhaps you somehow saw something you were never meant to see due to a rare system glitch.
Jackolantern

Postby vitinho444 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:54 am

But the media wouldn't be outraged if they aren't tech savvy either :roll:

Yeah, to my knowledge this only happened to one friend of mine and that's it. Oh well.. can't wait to see facebook go down.

vitinho444

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Oh....okay so this is a real thing. I should have probably actually done some Googling on the specific messages it was giving. It really is an attempt to prevent malware from spreading through Facebook which is pretty smart, actually. Apparently if you do your own malware scan, clean up stuff it finds and then clear your cookies, that fixes the issue. The fact that your friend saw it too means you both likely got infected by the same thing.
Jackolantern

Postby vitinho444 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:31 am

Jackolantern wrote:Oh....okay so this is a real thing. I should have probably actually done some Googling on the specific messages it was giving. It really is an attempt to prevent malware from spreading through Facebook which is pretty smart, actually. Apparently if you do your own malware scan, clean up stuff it finds and then clear your cookies, that fixes the issue. The fact that your friend saw it too means you both likely got infected by the same thing.

Yeah that's what they say, but THERE'S NO malware. Because if I log in in another PC I don't get the message. They base this on "strange activity" (they say) which for me can't be more than me being logged in in multiple devices.. I barely "like" stuff, never "share" anything, I just scroll and chat on messenger.

I have my OS always up-to-date, I don't visit sketchy websites, never download .exe's from anywhere, and even more, with Windows 10, I don't use cracks anymore. So there's no base for them to consider me as a "possible malware spreader".

vitinho444

Postby Jackolantern » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm

I don't know man. You mean when you log in on another PC you do or don't get the message?

Also, this could be a sign that your Facebook account has been hacked and this is due to someone else logging into your account. FB accounts are getting hacked left, right and center these days.
Jackolantern

Postby vitinho444 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 am

What I mean't is that on other devices I didn't get the same message. When I searched for it there were some users reporting that this only happened in chrome and if you used another browser you could login just fine. So this goes against the "you have malware" bullsh*t they are trying to pull.
Also I have 2FA and if someone tried to access my account with other computer, FB would send me an email, and that didn't happen so I don't think it was a hack try either.

I didn't comment on you saying
" It really is an attempt to prevent malware from spreading through Facebook which is pretty smart, actually. "

Yes it is smart and from a tech savy point of view I approve it, but first there has to be evidence man, you can't do this to regular users and steal a bunch of data in the process. It's like saying cops can go to your house, search you and all that just because "crime rates went up". Yeah they went up, but what do I have to do with it? You get my point?

vitinho444

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:50 pm

If you can change browsers and log in, it is likely tracking and collection cookies. Those have been running rampant lately. I got one just last week. I got a weird email that looked like a part of a chat log, and it mentioned my friend who lives in Thailand but it wasn't from his email. It said "Hey, just wanted to share this:" and gave a link that had my name in a segment of it. I did not click it. Next thing I know, I got an email from my brother-in-law (who I am friends with on FB) and he got an email from some complete rando email address with the same "Hey, just wanted to share this:" with a link that had his name in it. I assume that the connections between names are being mined off of FB. Even if you lock down your FB, it never fails that some idiot you are friends with, or a friend of a friend falls for one of those hot "girls" who send friend requests saying "I just got on FB and wanted to make some new friends ;)", so then BOOM! A bot has now infiltrated your network and can see much more of your FB profile. That is at least how I believe it is being propagated and I believe it is using cookies and other browser storage because even people using Linux are being affected and no one targets Linux for actual malware applications.

Just maybe try erasing all of your cookies and browser storage and see if that possibly fixes it.
Jackolantern

Postby vitinho444 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:56 am

I tried, it didn't help, I ERASED everything besides history and nothing. Haven't tried using a different browser like some say, since Chrome is life. 8-)
I get that, but that didn't happen in my network, when it happens usually I delete the user right away.

vitinho444

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic