Looking for easy but secure forum software with SSO

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
Kesstryl

Looking for easy but secure forum software with SSO

Post by Kesstryl »

I'm trying to figure out which might be the best forum software in terms of price (preferably free as I don't have a lot of disposable income), security, and ease for registration and login from a game without having to login twice separately on the forum too. Maybe it doesn't exist, or maybe someone has experience with this sort of thing. I did try one but it was so slow and clunky, and the SSO plugin wasn't working anyway (Codologic). I'm using using a heavily modified built in forum that came with the Dragon Knight engine (my game is using that engine), and I created a lot of features that were missing, but I'd consider using a real forum if I could get something to work.
Jackolantern

Re: Looking for easy but secure forum software with SSO

Post by Jackolantern »

If you used something open source like phpBB, you could just base your own game login system on the forum login data. So you aren't really having to integrate the forum with your game. Rather, you are just pointing your game login at the users table of the forum and running the same hashing algorithm that the forum uses for the password and checking it that way. Going that route, you could use pretty much any forum system allows you to look at the code to see any special steps that need to be replicated in the game.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

Thanks, for the time being I decided to expand the Dragon Knight forum code. It's giving me experience with designing a forum, and it's already integrated into the game. I also like the way the old forum looks like it's part of the game, and I want to maintain that very old school look. So far I added sticky, locked threads, and smilies; all of which came from the old dk mods which I updated and changed around to streamline the code to work with my DK updated version. I created post editing and mod editing on my own, and designed a string replace function to convert some encoded html special characters in common words like the apostrophe and m in "i'm" and n't in contractions back into something readable without using the php html special char decoding function which I think is a security risk. I'm now designing forum categories. I'll probably add in avatars once I'm happy that the most needed forum features are complete and working.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, very nice! :D
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”