AffordaGolf: Online Mini-golf

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
vitinho444

AffordaGolf: Online Mini-golf

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys, here's my newest project: AffordaGolf

Before I explain what it's all about, I wanna say "why I did it", well a friend of mine one day told me "hey man, let's find a cool game to play" and he found out Golf with Friends. I checked it out and I couldn't believe my eyes, 6€ for that? Also EARLY F*CKING ACCESS? OH HELL NO. So, I said to myself "I can do better, for a fraction of the price" and so I did... AFFORDAGOLF.

Features:
  • Online Multiplayer up to 127 people per room.
    Map Editor/Creator with more than 200 objects to choose from (more every week)
    Steam Achievements
    Steam Cards
    Ball + Golf club Customization
    30+ Maps on launch
    No Early-Access bullsh*t
    and more...
Price: 1.99$ with 30% launch discount. (Launch price: 1.59$)

It's a basic concept really, it took me maybe less than a few days (working 8hr per day total) to make this to the current state.
Hope you guys enjoy it, and I'll give more information soon.

Map Editor + Gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS3LxkD-vmY

Server Browser + Server Creation + Multiplayer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOGNQ9jNP8
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: AffordaGolf: Online Mini-golf

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

wow that was quick! Congrats!
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Thanks halls :D Wouldn't making this if it weren't for you too ;)

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

That's actually quite nice! I would improve the editor with some "snapping" where objects tends to glue one to the other and therefore make it easier to edit. Also I don't see how you handle the power of the shot, so maybe the usual bar which goes up / down alone and the power depends when you shoot. Finally, and that's just a personal opinion, you could re-texture your objects and maybe increase the poly count on some. If you want some help here, I'm willing to help for free.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

For the fun I made this object:
(only diffuse and bump layer, but more can be created)
Capture.JPG
Also by adding some "grass" patch over it could even look nicer ;)
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Alain, what I did in the editor is to Round the x,y,z coordinates of the mouse position to make a pseudo-snap, since every object (module) has the same "connector size" it kinda snaps :D
EDIT: The round is currently doing 1 decimal point, so it will snap to 0.1, 0.2, 0.3... 1.0. The first time I did it, it was on 0 decimals, so 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and so on, and for field modules I think I'll go back to that since the snap needs to feel stronger, but for trees and other map objects I think I'll remain with the 1 decimal point, what you think?

The power of the shot will be available as a 2D UI power slider, and also the golf club swing, the first one I haven't done yet, but it's fairly simple to do.

About the objects... Freaking hell they look so good and I appreciate a lot, but what I don't know if the realistic look fits the game. Or maybe I could add both module types, some cartoon ones and realistic ones so that each player can create his own maps with the modules they want.

But damn... those textures look awesome. But what you think about that part? Isn't it better looking cartoonish?

PS: I'm really asking you for an opinion since I don't really know what people enjoy the most :P I just compared mine with golf with friends which take a more cartoon look.

PS2: DAMN THOSE ARE SOME NICE TEXTURES OMFG
PS3: GOD DAMN IT LOOKS SO GOOD :')

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, that is really impressive! I remember when you said you were going to make a golf game, and bam! Here it is :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I could look for a cartoonish look if you want. Will do some experiments hopefully today.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:Wow, that is really impressive! I remember when you said you were going to make a golf game, and bam! Here it is :)
Ahaha it's a very basic concept to create really, I think anyone could've pulled it off. :lol:
a_bertrand wrote:I could look for a cartoonish look if you want. Will do some experiments hopefully today.
I like them both, so I was wondering to make players have the hard choice instead of me :D
In the map editor I could ask the player if he wants cartoon or realistic assets. Then when he submits his map, the name would be cartoon[MAP_NAME] or realistic[MAP_NAME]. This way I think everyone enjoys the game as he wants right?

Please don't lose your time with me if you have something better to do :oops:

PS: What software do you use?

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I used Modo 10 and Mari 3
Mari can be installed for free for non commercial. Modo not as far as I can tell.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”