Howdy y'all!

New to the site? Place a post here and let us know about you and what brings you to the site. T
Whatsupgirl88

Howdy y'all!

Post by Whatsupgirl88 »

Howdy,

I know I've been on here for a few years, but posted a few times in the past. However, I've never came to this part of the forums to introduce myself as I was hanging around the "How to make a Web Browser MMO (Old)" section. lol Anyways, I'm GG, as some people calls me over the internet, and I'm a 27-year-old female from USA. I've been interested in Web Designs or making websites since the late 90s. Possibly 1998/1999 at the most. I remember messing around with a program that was on my Windows 98 pc and it was around the whole web making. I don't know if it was FrontPage or another program around it. I thought it was cool to make that, even though, I've never was on the internet, itself, at the time. I only saw examples that was with the program. But, I tried to add things to web pages and thought it was cool.

In my senior year at high school. I ended up taking a two semesters of Web Designs in which I gotten to used a program called Dreamweaver. Sadly, I didn't gotten to learn a lot during that short amount of time. I only learned how to use some of the HTML. Such as the basics of adding text, links, forms and framesets. I wanted to learn more ... I saw how to add sounds 'n' such, but never gotten to that. In the summer of 2007, I almost had to resort to learning the raw HTML along with doing that in Notepad as Dreamweaver is expensive. I tried pushing myself into learning the HTML/Notepad way. To be honest, I like doing that in Notepad as I have more flexibility with the coding.

Sadly, it seems my spark for the whole making sites isn't all there like it once was. I tend to get into moods of on again and off again with trying to go down that route. I'm only decent with HTML at the moment. Though, I was curious about how to make a web browser game and I ran into hallsofvallhalla's YouTube page that was showing how to use the PHP & MYSQL. I thought it was pretty cool to be doing that. I tried following along with using the wamp program. I know I probably gonna have to learn JavaScript 'n' such, but that seems too complex for me right now. o_O

I wanted to try making a game, for fun, and see how it'll actually plays out. Even though, I used some of the codes from these forums to help along the way. Though, I think I'm getting the hang of it with the whole PHP & MYSQL. Well, I got up to the 9-ish tutorial video, but I kinda had a small knowledge of the coding and just kind of went on my own with that. I'm hoping that one day, I'll be able to complete a/the game for fun. XD Though, I'm not sure of how it's layout is gonna be like at the moment. I'm gonna have to try making simple images for it as well. XD Same with a map which I really have no clue about forming/putting it together at the moment. Though, I'm sure it's on these forums somewhere. lol

Anyways, that's kind of some of my background story. Though, I'd figure to post here to actually say "hello" to the community. 8)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Howdy y'all!

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Thanks for posting and welcome back!

I actually have some new videos coming out next week that show how to use an amazing HTML5 engine made by a member here that is a mix of drag and drop and code. It is a real good way to learn. It also depends on what kind of game you are wanting to make.
Don't get too frustrated at learning as it takes everyone time. The more you do and mess up the better you will become. I also used dreamweaver back in the day. Now I find it easier to just build from scratch.
Definitely stick around.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Welcome, glad to have you!

I started much the same way as you. Wanted to learn how to make a MMO, and landed here and never looked back. I have learned more in coding here than anywhere else and you will as well. We have a lot of great people on here willing to help and point you in the right direction. As Halls said, stick around!! ;)

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Welcome! Do keep in mind that these days you can actually use 1 language to do all of your web development: Javascript. In that case, instead of using PHP and MySQL for the server-side language and database, you would use Node.js and MongoDB, both of which are coded in Javascript. You can also dodge having to learn SQL going that route, since MongoDB is much, much easier and more intuitive to use.

As for Dreamweaver, you are definitely better off coding from scratch. You are already starting to see what pretty much all professional web developers feel: tools like Dreamweaver aren't flexible enough and put you too far away from what is actually going on. Plus, you will need intimate knowledge of HTML for pretty much all of your dynamic web development needs (be it with PHP, Javascript or Node.js), so it is best to learn and use it from the ground-up. Today Dreamweaver is nowhere near as popular as it used to be, and is generally used by non-technical people to create static websites (websites with no functionality or data; they just display static content).

But anyway, welcome to the forums :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Say Hello”