Managing First Person view with Third person view

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
vitinho444

Managing First Person view with Third person view

Post by vitinho444 »

Heyyyyy guyss!!! I've been away for too long... been kinda busy with some stuff from school, already going to the last college year and I've been messing around with Unity5, which so far got me excited and proud to say that Unity is one of the best engines out there.

So, since I've been a FPS guy all my life, and I don't really know how to do nothing else, I'm thinking on creating a new FPS game. (Original)

This time I wanna evolve as a game developer, and do things right. I've learned using 3ds max for rigs and animation, I've done some weapons (modelling and rigging), some animations with those weapons and a biped character, and now I would like to move it to Unity. Fine.

But now a problem arrives. As many of you can spot if you look closely, the view you have in AAA FPS games, is not an ... untouched view. What I mean with this is that, it's not a natural view, they dont put a weapon in a biped character and a camera somewhere in the face and it looks like it should look like.

If you take a look at Valve games, like CS, CS:GO and L4D2, you can see that the weapon is in fact inches away from the player's face, like, RIGHT ON YOUR FACE.
That sh*t isn't natural.. And it really pisses me off, because I know I can't reproduce that, and I'll get lots of people saying me my FPS doesn't look natural, by exactly looking as natural as possible.

Don't even get me stared on how you have your head popping out of a wall in a third person view, and in your first person view you have a full view to shoot :twisted:

So imagine you have a character with a weapon, would you just put a camera somewhere, probably in the chest, and just go with it? Or would you have two models, one that was the first person view that only the player could see, and the other would be the third person view that other players would see? What would you use, and what do you think about this whole subject?

Thank you ;)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

SpiritWebb

Re: Managing First Person view with Third person view

Post by SpiritWebb »

Welcome back!!

I would go with the one camera. Positioning just where you need it, that way the one that is playing see's the first person point of view, and still shows the other players. If I read that right. Maybe I just confused myself...lol

vitinho444

Re: Managing First Person view with Third person view

Post by vitinho444 »

Thanks ;)

Well that works, I've used it before, the thing is that it makes the game sort of a What You See Is What You Get, that if you are behind something and you can't see anyone, they won't see you back. And that's probably the easier way to do it also. But I don't know how they do it on AAA games... there must be a trick or something ahaha.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Return to “General Development”