How Many People Hate EULA Stuff

General Chat, Comments
gmoore

How Many People Hate EULA Stuff

Post by gmoore »

My brain hurts this morning. Going through a EULA for nwe.

It seems like a fine line between protecting the Software and being annoying. Trying to simplify it to one page. Lawyers don't like that.

Thoughts?
Running a game is like riding a bike ... well it should be!

New Worlds Engine / FunMayhem.com
Helping you get your game concept up and running. Now.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: How Many People Hate EULA Stuff

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Your more than welcome to keep this here but you might get more input posting on the main forums
http://indie-resource.com/forums/index.php

Not sure if anyone actually sees the rest of the forums as the link from NWE just shows this section.

But anyways... Yeah that can be a total pain but I guess it is a needed pain. Kind of like a flu shot.
gmoore

Post by gmoore »

Everyone make sure to check out the rest of the forums beyond NWE. I do!

Greg

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So speaking of EULA and changes and such. What plans do you have for NWE. I have been really interested in all that has taken place and really wondering your thoughts on where you want to take the engine and your "dream" on the future. It is in my opinion the best PBBG option out there so congrats on the purchase. I wish I could have got it ;) I and I am sure all license owners are excited and curious on future plans.

Also know that we are here to back this engine so never hesitate to lean on us in any ways needed. I am learning to love ludiculus as the best HTML5 engine so having both engines a part of this community is humbling and exciting.
gmoore

Post by gmoore »

Let me start with: I have loved this engine since it came out. I've been working hard for several years to kick out code. When the code base became available, and OMG no one had jumped at it, I couldn't wait. (Yes my accountant wife made me make a quick business plan for it). That plan had over 117 major project areas I would like to see expanded on. So that is a lot of years of development ahead. I think only Alain's insight could have made those areas even doable.

I hesitate to put my entire roadmap out there. People may assume it would all be done tomorrow. I've put hints and clues in the few posts. So I am sure you could get an idea. But, as I've told my wife, this engine is my next 10 years of effort. Or at least personal effort, have to eat at the real job.

So what is the biggest hindrance to using this engine? It has a lot of power for its' size. It's not expensive. Well in my eyes it is in the fact that there are no, or at least no active ones I know of, real games running out there. Why is that? Well this engine only takes you half way. You need to customize and make it work for you and your concept. And THAT can be the killer. No instant gratification. What you thought would be a quick score "My game is up" becomes "Uh oh, 3 years of work left". Real life interferes and there she goes. So not only do I want a good development platform, I want a turnkey game system also. I want someone to actually have a game up and running immediately. THEN you can customize. Makes for more module sales, happier customers, and happier players.

Essentially running games is either to make money or a labor of love. You need to decide for yourself which one it is. Making money is about fast turn around, get things up, add options and provide service. A labor of love takes much longer, is more personal and many times languishes on the design board but is no less a game. We will handle both. I promise.

First, as in 1.1.9 coming up, I need to take care of house cleaning things. After that, I have this CD I hold before me, loaded with my blood, sweat and tears, and this 6 page document of projects, to decide what 1.2.0 looks like and what 2.0.0 / 3.0.0 looks like. Let's go where the players are after that. I (and in I, I mean WE) will build it, they will come.

Thank you for your support.
Greg

Return to “General”