My New project

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

My New project

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

https://www.oculus.com/gear-vr/

Pretty frgiggn sweet when you think about it. Mobile Virtual Reality. Think of what this will become. Sit in a room with friends all thousands of miles from each other. Play Larping with that spawns creatures actually in front of you! It does on and on.
vitinho444

Re: My New project

Post by vitinho444 »

It is pretty cool indeed :) A little pricey at the moment, but soon it will get lower and can definitely be the future of some types of games. I don't think FPS's will be one of them though. :roll:
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Why not? This is perfect for a FPS. Especially once someone gets GPS working real well with it.

$299 is pretty cheap for VR in my opinion. You can buy the card board ones for $30 :)
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Well, because I see that in FPS it would be like having Console players versus PC players, it's not "fairplay" since one is playing with mouse and keyboard and other is playing with a remote. So basically, you will be playing with your VR controller and you will have some kind of advantage imo.

But for games such as skyrim, definitely yes. A full world where you can explore and enjoy that beauty... instead of going outside :D

Card board sucks man :lol: I want the real deal!!

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Man, this is just crap. People need to come up with a holographic way of representing the virtual world so that you don't need anything really. Something like the Holodeck technology in the Star Trek universe, or the communication projections like in Star Wars. Maybe something like using ultrasound to generate actual objects that could be felt and manipulated (http://www.gizmag.com/ultrasound-3d-hap ... ram/35032/).

Once I can enjoy a virtual environment without the use of any glasses (which give me massive headaches), then I can declare that VR is a good thing. Up until now, ever since I first met with VR in the 90's, it is nothing but a fad that surfaces and then sinks again.

So *two thumbs down* on VR. Mainly I want my Holodeck so that I can create a program like what Worf had to get into shape!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Sharlen, have you seen that Microsoft stuff regarding Holographics? It looked pretty cool to me.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Comparing the 90's VR to today's VR is not a comparison. That is like saying I hate cell phones because they are so massive and heavy and barely work cuz the ones in the 90's were.

The occulus experience is truly amazing. It tricks your brain like nothing other. Watch the roller coaster videos. There has been little no complaints about headaches with V2. V1 was even minimal.

Asking for the holodeck now is like refusing to drive a care because they don't fly. Your missing out on what is now.

I have gotten my Android developers license, got Unity setup with Occulus SDK and ready to start making something happen!
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote: I have gotten my Android developers license, got Unity setup with Occulus SDK and ready to start making something happen!
I'm sorry what? You are going to make VR experiences for Android? Why not PC? I didn't get that one.

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Comparing the 90's VR to today's VR is not a comparison. That is like saying I hate cell phones because they are so massive and heavy and barely work cuz the ones in the 90's were.
Actually this is an incorrect statement. Stating that you hate cell phones because they were massive and heavy can be an accurate statement back then. Yet you look at today and people are carrying small computers practically. This is obviously different as the hardware has changed. With the Occulus, what revolutionary technology is there that makes it different other than graphically? Maybe we have more computing power today than back then, so fair enough. But to say that it isn't a comparison? Really Halls?
hallsofvallhalla wrote:The occulus experience is truly amazing. It tricks your brain like nothing other. Watch the roller coaster videos. There has been little no complaints about headaches with V2. V1 was even minimal.

Asking for the holodeck now is like refusing to drive a care because they don't fly. Your missing out on what is now.

I have gotten my Android developers license, got Unity setup with Occulus SDK and ready to start making something happen!
Yeah, seen em and I don't see anything special really. You wouldn't even get any of the force feedback as your body remains stationary. Yeah, visually you are moving and due to the sensory deprivation effect while wearing them, visually you can be tricked at moving. It still behaves the same as what was back in the 90's, just as responsive. Only thing different is the graphics today are leaps and bounds different. Dactyl Nightmare is back from the early 90's, which was a pretty neat game back then. It was super responsive and it did the trick, just graphically it sucked. Then as quickly as all of that appeared, it disappeared just as fast as arcades disappeared (at least where I used to live) when consoles began to come out during the Console Wars.

But that aside, as our opinions differ and we probably aren't going to meet in the middle regarding it. You would have to make something that is completely groundbreaking. I don't think virtual reality really won't be anything until we get to The Matrix level of integration into the virtual world. Where your brain is completely tricked through all of its senses to be in an environment that is virtual. All of these intermediate technologies don't really change the fact that you are still sitting in your room with goggles strapped to your face. For me it is about immersion into a virtual world. Make me forget about where I am and you've done the trick.

Anyways, I'm still interested in what you will come up with for this as I look up to what you do and are able to achieve. Gives inspiration. I'm not saying that what your doing is futile, just for me personally, VR just doesn't cut it.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I get it but I am just not seeing how you say nothing has changed other than graphics. Have you put on an Occulus? It is a MASSIVE world of difference that what was available in the 90's.

I think this future you speak of is closer than you think and will come in the item I hold in my hand.

Think of this for a moment.

You and some friends are all wearing one of these mobile VR. Yes it is completely mobile. It is a cellphone. You are all on a trail in the woods and the phones camera is showing you whats in front of you. You are really in the woods walking. Basically looking through a video camera but faaaar better. Out in front of all of you jumps a out a Goblin! It scares a few of you. The wizard of the group holds out his hand and yells, "Spell Fireball!" Out from his hand comes a fireball and smashes into the goblin showing -12 hit points above his head. Everyone sees this through their headset. Goblin screams and dies, Wizard feels pretty good about himself. You all start walking on the trail again.

This is all possible with this headset. No one has built it but the tech exists. Give this thing a year or two more and you will see why I think this is the beginning of the beginning of virtual worlds.

Yes vit, it is for android and completely mobile. Tracks GPS, footsteps, heartbeat, mood, ect..

Return to “General Development”