Iphone and/or G-phone Game Development

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Iphone and/or G-phone Game Development

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Anyone done it? tried it? Currently doing it?
Sakar

Re: Iphone and/or G-phone Game Development

Post by Sakar »

Once my Mac gets here I'll be working on a game for the iPhone.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I bought a I-Book yesterday at the Flea Market. Started fooling around with it. Problem is its so dang expensive to develop i-phone apps.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I would like to develop I-Phone apps just for the hell of it, but I don't have a Mac, and I won't buy one just to make them. There are so many apps in the app store that getting anything you make noticed is extremely difficult. 500,000 apps in the store is good for end-users, but not so good for developers.

You have a lot more chances of getting your apps noticed on a phone with less competition, like maybe the G-phones. I am not exactly sure how development goes on them, but creating Java ME apps for mobile phones can be nice as well because they can be ported between phones, whereas IPhone apps require full rewrites.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

G-Phone app creation is very simple, well getting the sdk and deploying is a friggn breeze and free!!

Developing the actual app is another story. I am learning Java and Android all at once. Very tough on me. I have my first app started and works and will get a vid of it soon. Starting with a Dice rolling app for table top playing.

I bought the I-Book(G3) laptop to learn a bit about Macs and maybe making a few iphone apps but looking at the cost and the pain and like you said the amount of apps out there I say screw it. G-Phone is far simpler and there are more and more phones going to Android...Its just Java that stinks :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:G-Phone app creation is very simple, well getting the sdk and deploying is a friggn breeze and free!!

Developing the actual app is another story. I am learning Java and Android all at once. Very tough on me. I have my first app started and works and will get a vid of it soon. Starting with a Dice rolling app for table top playing.

I bought the I-Book(G3) laptop to learn a bit about Macs and maybe making a few iphone apps but looking at the cost and the pain and like you said the amount of apps out there I say screw it. G-Phone is far simpler and there are more and more phones going to Android...Its just Java that stinks :)

Say what? Java is beautiful lol. Or at least if you are coming from a strict typing, pure OO background is it. It is basically C# without the convoluted class library. I was not aware that the android phones used Java as their platform, but that is excellent. That means that your average Android app will be portable (with some work, obvously) to pretty much any other mobile device. I am just disappointed that the I-Phone decided to go with Obj-C and proprietary SDKs. Kind of sad that they went with the standard for Mac OSX rather than the standard of basically every other mobile device.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

i only say java stinks because I have to learn it :) Once I learn it I am sure I will love it.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

No one is interested in Blackberry Development?
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Noctrine wrote:No one is interested in Blackberry Development?
Many, many people are. In fact, I have looked into it. It is just not really specialized enough to warrant having books written, tutorials written, etc. It is just another "code in Java ME using <phone> SDK", pretty much like every other mobile device outside of the IPhone.

Its prime market is business applications, however. I would not suggest putting a lot of effort into writing games for it unless it is a relatively painless port from another device.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

Its painful in everything.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey

Return to “Game Design”