It was nice knowing you, Flash

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

It was nice knowing you, Flash

Post by Jackolantern »

Well, this is it for Flash. While it will obviously hang around the corners of the web for many years, its days of 90%+ install rates are going to drop incredibly quick now. YouTube made the announcement this week that many of us have been waiting on for years. Flash is no longer the default player, in favor of the HTML5 player. And of course due to the power of the Web, everyone will be updated very quickly, since just a video thumbnail click will load the new player.

YouTube was the last bastion of Flash, and the last website really pushing Flash installs and updates. While website-embedded Flash content (such as animating banners, rich buttons, etc.) that was popular in the early 2000's brought Flash quickly into the 90%+ install rates it saw early on, the fad of Flash components on websites died out fairly quickly right around the time YouTube started taking off. This allowed Flash to seamlessly bridge the gap between the two without missing a beat or losing significant marketshare. But of course, once the whims of one website controlled the future of Flash, it was only a matter of time before it would be crushed like a bug.

I have been using the HTML5 YouTube player for over 4 years now, as I am sure many of you have, too. It works great, and I bet many people won't even notice a difference. In fact, some advances in HTML5 video may make it work even better, with less buffering.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Renavoid

Re: It was nice knowing you, Flash

Post by Renavoid »

Goodbye Flash. I won't miss you. :)
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Goodbye Flash. Peace out homie. I will spill some of my wine in the dust just for you.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Cyaaa flash! HTML5 is here to own! HTML10 will have better graphics than Unreal Engine's :D
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

See ya, HTML X!

Oh wait, about 10 to 15 years early on that one...

Return to “General Development”