Express 4, Passport, Node.JS nightmares

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
a_bertrand

Express 4, Passport, Node.JS nightmares

Post by a_bertrand »

This is exactly why I don't like those projects:

From one day to the other, a group of developer decides to cleanup their API (it's their right and choice), yet what worked before stopped working.... And all other libs using what the first group did... doesn't work anymore.

- Express is what could be seen as a webserver for node.js (yes there is a lot more to it)
- Passport let you create login and use google to log you in or others

Too bad all the example works with express 3 and not anymore with express 4! Great work guys!

So can you rely on open source projects? well... yes and no, as you could end up with such shame all the time.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Sim

Re: Express 4, Passport, Node.JS nightmares

Post by Sim »

a_bertrand wrote:This is exactly why I don't like those projects:

From one day to the other, a group of developer decides to cleanup their API (it's their right and choice), yet what worked before stopped working.... And all other libs using what the first group did... doesn't work anymore.

- Express is what could be seen as a webserver for node.js (yes there is a lot more to it)
- Passport let you create login and use google to log you in or others

Too bad all the example works with express 3 and not anymore with express 4! Great work guys!

So can you rely on open source projects? well... yes and no, as you could end up with such shame all the time.
ouch. They should at least update there doc's first =]
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hmmm...yep...ouch! But this might actually be good news for you down the road. The core of the open source node team is upset that node still is not completely stable and just forked a new version the other day, presumably to make it so.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Having a split of node.js can only make things worse... As you will end up with 2 different base "engines" which may very well end up in-compatible. Sure I do understand WHY we need a node.js version 1 (and stabilize it), yet it would not solve those issues with express and passport.
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

So let me get this straight... they changed how existing API calls behave? They did not depreciate the existing interfaces, while leaving them in place and adding new "recommended" ones? They actually went and changed how they behaved?
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

They dropped some API, changed how some acts, and cut the lib in pieces which now need to be added one by one. So yes... a pure pain
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

a_bertrand wrote:They dropped some API, changed how some acts, and cut the lib in pieces which now need to be added one by one. So yes... a pure pain
This is their first API, isn't it?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

a_bertrand wrote:Having a split of node.js can only make things worse... As you will end up with 2 different base "engines" which may very well end up in-compatible. Sure I do understand WHY we need a node.js version 1 (and stabilize it), yet it would not solve those issues with express and passport.
Yeah, the more I have learned about this, the worse it kept getting. Joyent has the trademark (very important) and the open source has the core devs, and now they aren't on speaking terms. Not good.

As far as it solving issues with Express and Passport, I am not sure I agree. There is a "stability culture" in all open source projects. If the core or foundation is not stable, third-party projects also don't feel stability is important, and so they build for the now. There is a strong idea of flying by the seat of your pants. And beyond that, some of their instability comes directly from instabilities in the core. If node stabilized, that puts more pressure on important third-party projects to also stabilize. That would change the story for the project devs that it is their fault things are unstable.

People have been calling for a 1.0 and stable API for node almost since I first picked it up. I have no doubts that instability in popular modules is bubbling-up from the underlying instability in node itself.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “General Development”