Hosting

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
srachit

Hosting

Post by srachit »

Hey guys,
I was recently hired by a new initiative on my campus to create a website for them. They have now requested me to handle the hosting of the server as well.
I wanted to know if you guys had any suggestion for a good web host in terms of reliability, customer service and cost.
KyleMassacre

Re: Hosting

Post by KyleMassacre »

Have you looked into Digital Ocean? I have used them from time to time but I'm just not that great at the cmd line.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Is this a PHP application?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

asmallorange is the best and fasted I have ever used. If you go with godaddy then I get to slap you 500 times.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I'm with namecheap for domains and they have 24/7 live chat which is great. They also have hosting, but I can't argue about that because I don't use it.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

srachit

Post by srachit »

KyleMassacre wrote:Have you looked into Digital Ocean? I have used them from time to time but I'm just not that great at the cmd line.
I have come across digital ocean a few times, would you please tell me whats the difference between digital ocean and a normal hosting service? I cannot seem to understand.
Jackolantern wrote:Is this a PHP application?
Currently its just plain bootstrap and jquery, but they may need me to add a PHP/MYSQL back end.
hallsofvallhalla wrote:asmallorange is the best and fasted I have ever used. If you go with godaddy then I get to slap you 500 times.
Lol gonna stay as far away from godaddy as possible :P Will look into asmallorange.
vitinho444 wrote:I'm with namecheap for domains and they have 24/7 live chat which is great. They also have hosting, but I can't argue about that because I don't use it.
The domain is being provided by the university so that's not a problem. But they are not willing to host the website as they host only websites made using cascade (atleast that's my understanding after my meeting with them).
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

For Digital Ocean you kind of pay as you go which is pretty cool, No Contracts. Their prices vary depending on what you need as far as resources and the cheapest is like $5/mo but they charge you hourly so it's like $0.007/hr. You also get full root access so you have basically full control over your server Here are some screen shots for you of some of the basics you get upon creating your droplet.

Return to “General Development”