GitHub?

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Sharlenwar

GitHub?

Post by Sharlenwar »

What exactly is it? It is a code repository? How does one know how to compile something through GitHub? Am I too much of a noob to ask these questions?

Reason I ask, is that Ironbane stuff looks pretty cool. I'm just wondering how I go about setting up something to see how it works. I can probably figure it out, but it is going to take me some time. If someone out there has an easy explanation for me, then I can take it from there.

Thanks!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: GitHub?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Yes it is basically just a repository system.

In each of the IronBane repos there is a "Download as Zip". You can just download that and it is a zip that bypasses the whole github thing.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Git knowledge is extremely handy. Github has some excellent help pages on setting it up; it's going to be different depending on your operating system. If you download the zip, you miss out on some cool stuff, like being able to create a fork or make pull requests and actually contribute to open source software.

https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git/

I would encourage as many to get involved as possible as these sorts of things are what the web is built on. And I don't think there is a barrier for entry, really. It's good for new and old developers. Also, if you're like me and you want private repositories, bitbucket offers them for free.
w00t
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If you are on Windows, you can bypass the command line and all of the special Git commands and use a nice GUI to handle all things Git! I believe it is called GitHub for Windows.

But yeah, like Halls said, if you just want to mess around with Ironbane, the fastest way to do that is to just hit the "Download Zip" button at the bottom of the right column. Then you can just unzip it into a directory and get started.

However, if you started doing serious work on it, you would want to get the hang of Git so you could request push permission so you could upload your fixes back to the GitHub repo for others to use. They could even make you a co-owner on the project if you really took it over!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

Since there are guys using github, one question regarding it (this has been my blocker to start using this).

Let's say I'm working on something awesome, but I don't want to show the code to everyone, but I would want to use github to deploy my changes to my server.
Can I,
hide stuff in github so that I can only allow users to access stuff?
If I can, is it an default option or do I need to pay for that kind of service?

In a nutshell,
What I need is a code-repo, that is 'hidden'. Can Github give this to me? :S
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

MikuzA wrote:In a nutshell,
What I need is a code-repo, that is 'hidden'. Can Github give this to me? :S
Kaos mentioned Bitbucket to do what you want I believe. This is all cool stuff and thus why the question, I wanted to see what anyone knew about it. Thanks for those who posted and it gives me some food for thought.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Yes, both bitbucket and github allow private repositories, but they have some restrictions. On Github, you pay for private repositories and a limited number of people (that you designate) can access them. In bitbucket, you can have an unlimited number of private repositories that only you can access, but must pay if you'd like to allow more users to contribute to your repo.
w00t
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

It is worth noting that if you don't set up a README file on Github, don't have any other projects and give it a non-sensical name, no one will waste their time with it, and it won't be found with search. Of course that is not a good option if you actually must keep your code private with 0% chance of anyone ever seeing it, but if you just aren't ready for people to mess with it, doing this will keep them away from it and tons of devs do it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

Or you can use GitLab. If it's just you and maybe a few people then the community version would be great for you I believe it does require 1gb or ram in order to work correctly and if you use Digital Ocean they have it as a deployable application but it has basically all the feature of GitHub but your own repos That you don't have to make available to the public
sniko

Post by sniko »

Making your code private
  • Use GitLab on your own server
  • Upgrade your GitHub account to allow private repos
  • Don't use a GUI service, and have GIT on your machine - no need to push to a central server
Pull code down from a repo

This is pretty swift. I've written an answer which (kind of) addresses this. If you're not comfortable with using command line, you can use;
Help, I need some guidance

Lucky for you, there is a whole site with awesome documentation for this! GIT SCM.

If you're wanting an elegant branching model which addresses an issue many have when working with a team, have a read about this branching model.

Code: Select all

class Life extends Bitch {
  //...
}

Return to “General Development”