.Exe Question

C++, C#, Java, PHP, ect...
Last Known Hero

.Exe Question

Post by Last Known Hero »

Hey,

I know this is going back quite a ways but back when the Forsaken Sanctum team was working away, Halls, you created a program for creating fast and easy weapon/armor creation. And included a GUI for making it look professional.

I know this is a very vague description but here i go:
The program had several lists that you could choose from that selected various types of information.
Type--- Armor; Weapon; Component; Etc
Value--- text box
Image File--- image location
Strength/Armor Value--- text box

and it went on and on basically asking all questions to make quick and easy item lists, then when you were done it would export it all as a code where everything that was typed before was put into proper spaces for importing it to the game.

Where is a good place to start if I'd like to learn this?
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Sim

Re: .Exe Question

Post by Sim »

Sounds like a cool little program. I would like to see this.

I can try to answer this without knowing much about the program but by reading about what it does.

I don't know how familiar you are with. But first choose a coding language, for something like this. I would suggest VB.net. C# is also popular and would work. VB.net is probaly a little bit easier IMO.

A quick run-down.

Get familiar with the controls. Textboxes, listboxes, ect to find out what you want to use.
Get familiar with the properties of the controls you want to use.

You will have to learn about simple arrays, and either the Structure Type or creating a simple Class for storing and getting your information.

It sounds like you want to import your information into a database. So your basicly just querying information into a database using the insert query.

Hope you got something out of this.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah either go with VB.NET or C#.net as its way easier for me now. If you don't know C/C++ or C# or any of those object oriented languages like java, you can go with VB.NET, no problem with that. But if you know C# then go with C#.net and windows forms controlls in Visual Studio Express ;)

I don't know what halls used, but I can totally picture it in VB/C#.net windows forms :)
Good Luck.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

If you know javascript or java or C or C++ then C# should not be all that different. VB.NET and C# both are basically equivalent, while in C# you generally have less to type. Generally not always. I tend to prefer C# for it's nearly C like style.

You can also take the web way to do it, via node-webkit which let you build exe out of JS/HTML.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah I prefer C# too because its more equivalent with the most used languages such as PHP and Java. VB is a whole new world as its BASICally plain english :)

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I used visual C# and made a win forms app.

Just grab VS express and follow some tutorials on C#.
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

I don't know any and just wanted to tinker around with it a little bit, was one of those "awe inspiring" moments of what really hooked me into game development.

I'll try it out for sure :)
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I recommend TheNewBoston's tutorials on C#, you have like 200 videos.

Return to “Coding”