Licensing Question

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
OldRod

Licensing Question

Post by OldRod »

I have some sound effects that I'm using in my game that are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License. Some of the sounds don't have any information other than a freesound.org user name of the person who posted it. How do I attribute those types of items? Is it safe to still use them in a free game?
vitinho444

Re: Licensing Question

Post by vitinho444 »

I believe either you put that the sound came from freesound.org and xxxxx username, or you contact the person to know more about it.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

OldRod

Post by OldRod »

OK, thanks!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Does freesound.org have a default license that everyone uploading agrees to? If so, you could probably safely follow the license there.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

No, they just say what license they are under on each download page. I'm just putting their user name and a link to the site.
Sim

Post by Sim »

Wouldn't it be safe for him to make a credits page and credit each person?
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I credited them with as much info as I had. If that's not enough, tough :P
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Technically, if no rights are extended, all rights are reserved. So the most truly safe thing would be to not use it until you could find a way to contact the author for written explicit permission. However, there is a case for the fact that it was on an art asset sharing site so it could be assumed that some rights must have been offered.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

When you click the file to download it, it shows you a page with the licensing on it. It was CC 3.0... there was just no information to attribute it to other than a username. I'm not releasing the game widely, just as a Unity web player on my site, so not like it's going to be out in the masses, and I'm not going commercial with it. I've attributed where the file came from. I'm OK with it.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh, I missed that it was CC 3.0. Then yes, since it is licensed, I would just attribute it to what info you have and you should be fine.

Return to “General Development”