Best Language for children?

C++, C#, Java, PHP, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Best Language for children?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

My daughter is starting third grade this year(she skipped a grade) and I want to start her on some simple programming. I am thinking Python. Anyone got any other suggestions?
vitinho444

Re: Best Language for children?

Post by vitinho444 »

If she's american (speaks fluent english) then why not Visual Basic? It's plain english, no ";" and stuff like that, simple commands and can build great stuff, then maybe move her from that to python or java (insanity dad!), but guess what, if she knows java by the 5th grade or so, she will kick ass in programming in the future.
I never tried python, but people say its easy to learn and simple to use, you know more than me about programming so my opinion shouldn't be that strong, but I tried :)

Good luck, and I wish more dads were like you, programming should be taught to kids more often.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

I think Python and Ruby are both very human readable, which is nice. JavaScript may be more fun for a younger person though, as the reward of seeing your work in action is more immediately visible.
w00t
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Assembler of course, nothing else exists anyhow ;)

Why not start with something really easy like a visual language? and then maybe go for something more sophisticated?
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

I first got into programming through C++ (which was the worst way to start :P). After that, I got into visual basic 6 and loved it. I'm not sure how much the .Net version of visual basic has changed, but it might be worth it as a visual type of language.

Other than that, I would agree that python or javascript could be a good fun choice.
Sanity is vastly overrated!
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

No VB. Ever! hehe

I just want something simple that she can make easy games with. Like a Basic language but something that will also teach her the right ways to code. I am worried about visual programming as it will start the foundation in the wrong way.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Games... then maybe c++ with a graphics lib? Or make her start with HTML5 right away and JS and she will be creating games in no time :)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I just want something simple that she can make easy games with. Like a Basic language but something that will also teach her the right ways to code. I am worried about visual programming as it will start the foundation in the wrong way.
Javascript is probably a no-go then, as at first it tends to teach some bad practices. I think your first instinct for Python might be the right one.
w00t
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

You could do Python, and then you could write some stuff and have her do some plug-n-play with your simple code to make sruff. Like a visual language, but not.
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I'm thinking more of something graphical as well like your standard HTML/CSS then possibilities are endless from there. Then they can move towards creating apps using frameworks such as phonegap since they basically have majority of the knowledge needed.

I wish my kids were interested in this type of stuff. They would rather reap the benefits of your hard work than make stuff happen behind the scenes

Return to “Coding”