PHP Framework: How to choose one?

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
vitinho444

PHP Framework: How to choose one?

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys!! Almost on my first day as a 2nd year college student, I'm about to start some big projects.

One of them consists on making a website and mobile apps for the service and to do so I'll be using PHP/MySQL/CSS/HTML/JS/Ajax/jQuery/Bootstrap, you know the basic stuff.
But I think this can be a good chance, of stepping up on my game. So far every single php work I've done, was from scratch.

<?php
if(superComplicatedFunction() > 249.194141139844 / 39)
{
superComplicatedClass->SuperComplicatedMethod();
}
?>

Something like that :)
So, stepping up the game, I think I should do the PHP backend of the website in a framework. To do this I need to actually pick one from the hundreds out there.
My Question is which one should I pick? Should I first think on what I need, or the most used ones offer the same stuff? What should I focus on?
Anyone can help me out ;)?
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Re: PHP Framework: How to choose one?

Post by Jackolantern »

Try FuelPHP, Laravel (probably OSS's favorite PHP framework), and Symfony (the enterprise's favorite PHP framework).
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

I haven't tried it yet, but Laravel seems to be popular.
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Hum Laravel has some good tutorials indeed, since it's popular I might choose it. But what is the things I need to check to choose one or other? Or they all do the same just differently?

Sim

Post by Sim »

vitinho444 wrote:Hey guys!! Almost on my first day as a 2nd year college student, I'm about to start some big projects.

One of them consists on making a website and mobile apps for the service and to do so I'll be using PHP/MySQL/CSS/HTML/JS/Ajax/jQuery/Bootstrap, you know the basic stuff.
Sometimes a framework is overkill depending on what you are making. Just a thought.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

I know Laravel is built upon Sympony but I don't know why or when to use one or the other.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Verahta wrote:I know Laravel is built upon Sympony but I don't know why or when to use one or the other.
Laravel is much, much easier to use than Symfony. Symfony is a powerful framework, but has a huge learning curve. And actually Laravel is not truly built on Symfony. Its core (to my knowledge) was built from scratch, and they used some Symfony modules for additional features ported from Symfony. But it is mostly not based on Symfony.

Symfony's days of being the enterprise darling are probably numbered. For the most part, framework/library popularity in the enterprise generally follows several years behind OSS (open source software) trends. The same thing happened with jQuery, where Ext_JS was the major JS library in enterprise development for quite a while while jQuery was preferred by the OSS community and smaller web developers, but eventually its popularity caught on and jQuery became ubiquitous at all levels.

Laravel appears to be getting the closest to PHP community consensus that any framework has gotten to date.
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Sim wrote:
vitinho444 wrote:Hey guys!! Almost on my first day as a 2nd year college student, I'm about to start some big projects.

Sometimes a framework is overkill depending on what you are making. Just a thought.
Actually I thought of that, I know I can definitely build it from scratch but since it will be rather a big project I thought of stepping up :)
Laravel seems about right to start with I'm guessing. Since the Open Source community is focusing on it more, and in the end of the day it's called a framework, I think it could be my bridge from scratch to framework-land. Then when I get used to it I need to move to something more company-used like Zend or CodeIgniter perhaps. :roll:

Thanks a lot guys ;)

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

CodeIgniter has recently lost a lot of popularity. It was never huge with companies, but used to be loved by individual developers. But those days are gone. Their reluctance to update the minimum version of PHP supported has lost them a lot of followers.

Return to “General Development”