Progress

Posts related to the development of LNitewing's "Fabled Kingdoms of Nizinia"
LNitewing

Progress

Post by LNitewing »

Email confirmation works! SendGrid as I mentioned in another post has a small free package. It allows you to send 200 emails per day, that's 200 tests per day! :P The best part is that I can test this all locally now.

I got it setup to send the email for confirmation and the confirmation works locally. The link in the following screenshot was an actual confirmation link (it doesn't exist so no use trying it :P)
Sanity is vastly overrated!
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
Chris

Re: Progress

Post by Chris »

Watch out for phishing scams. How do you test this? Unit testing?
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

You always have to be on the lookout for phishing scams! :)

I could actually use unit tests if I wanted to. However, I've been testing manually using LocalDB and a local IIS8 installation. :)
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

Password Reset is working now as well! :D

Chris

Post by Chris »

Oh, I was quite keen on knowing how you had set up unit testing with emails :(
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Pardon my ignorance... what is unit testing?
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

"At a high-level, unit testing refers to the practice of testing certain functions and areas – or units – of our code. This gives us the ability to verify that our functions work as expected. That is to say that for any function and given a set of inputs, we can determine if the function is returning the proper values and will gracefully handle failures during the course of execution should invalid input be provided."

http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/the-b ... --wp-25728

It's essentially automated testing, some people are for it and some aren't. I've always been the manual kind of guy myself. :P

EDIT: If I was going to implement unit testing for my email service, I would use https://github.com/cmendible/netDumbster which is a fake SMTP server. I would then setup to use a local SMTP server (localhost) rather than using relay servers that I'm currently using. Then you setup the controller and the method that calls the sendmail function and then send. After that you could check the SMTP instance in code to see if it received the mail and if the contents match. I don't have any code for it as I haven't setup the unit tests project.
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

Basic authorization is setup. I had to create my own authorize attribute and override the unauthorized function but it works now. When you're authenticated but don't have the correct role for the page, it shows you this page.

Don't mind that its unformatted and ugly. This is all about functionality at the moment. :P
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

It looks pretty-ish again! :P It looks the same as the post in "Actual Site Layout" right now. I had rewritten parts of it to use the new Identity 2.0 authentication system over the old 1.0 version.

Now that I got things up and running and jQuery-UI back to working as well, I can work on finishing the designing/deuglification process. 8-)
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

I finished the home page (in perfect working order), cleaned up how I did the jQuery stuff as well. Since this was a HTML5 website anyway, I took advantage of it's custom data attributes when dealing with the interface stuff instead of making rather long function calls to my JavaScript file. :D

This is the home page while not authenticated:

This is the home page while authenticated:

This is the current state of the play buttons if anyone was curious :P

Return to “Development”