Guild/Clan/Fractions

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Sim

Guild/Clan/Fractions

Post by Sim »

So I am pondering on idea's on what should be included in this future feature and wondering what everyone has in theres or would like to see included in such a feature.

•Can create clan/guild/fraction/crew/whatever with banner/name/description
•A Vault: It holds items and money that any member can take
•Ability to send items/money to ALL members of guild/fraction/crew
•Ability to private message whole guild/fraction/crew
•Vault Log: Shows who donated and took what
•Chat Box: For members only
•Simple Forum: For members only
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Jackolantern

Re: Guild/Clan/Fractions

Post by Jackolantern »

All those are great features to aspire to, but things like guild vaults aren't required from the start.

One thing that is needed from the start is guild ranks. There should be at least 3: member, officer and founder/leader. Some games have more such as recruit (which would be below member) or multiple tiers of officers. But only have as many as needed to differentiate access. Players won't care about differing ranks if they are different in name only, since their only use would be as a divisive element in guilds (such as showing favoritism by awarding titles, or creating an overly-terse hierarchy). Each rank should actually have a tangible effect on the guild mechanics. At its most basic with the 3 tier system, members can talk in guild chat and have membership (duh!), officers can invite new members and founder/leaders can both invite and kick members. Any additional ranks to be added should coincide with additional guild mechanics. For example, if you had guild vaults that allowed depositing money, you could add a treasurer rank, which would double as an officer but with the added benefit of being able to withdrawal guild vault money.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Maybe implement a cost or requirement to make guilds so that there aren't a million guilds and new players are more likely to join a guild and be successful rather than make a guild and flop. Also guild quests are a good idea, and some things that give guilds a bonus and encourage players to join.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Xaos wrote:Maybe implement a cost or requirement to make guilds so that there aren't a million guilds and new players are more likely to join a guild and be successful rather than make a guild and flop. Also guild quests are a good idea, and some things that give guilds a bonus and encourage players to join.
Yeah, either a money or higher-level requirement would be good. This way players will likely get involved in an existing guild first, and then perhaps a few people will start their own later on after having experience being in one.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

I could be out to lunch, but I'll give it a shot here. For Guilds/Clans/Factions/etc. it all depends on why you have that mechanic in the game?

For a game like Space Engineers, you create a faction so that you can secure your structures/ship from anyone not part of the faction. As well it is for chatting within the faction, and administering the faction. Mostly it deals with ownership of the ships/structures/devices. In a game like Everquest, I used guilds as a way of forming group parties to go and grind out some monsters, maybe complete some quests, etc. It was more social when I did so there. With something like Book of Heroes, I join a guild for the guild raids that occur in that game.

For me the social element is how people are brought together to play the game and to enhance it because of that social aspect.

I have no idea where I was going with this. :shock:
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sim

Post by Sim »

Sharlenwar wrote:I have no idea where I was going with this. :shock:

THanks for the post though. was a good thing to ponder on... ;-)
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook

Return to “Game Design”