Do Frameworks Fit Here?

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
Sharlenwar

Do Frameworks Fit Here?

Post by Sharlenwar »

Hey Halls, if this is in the wrong place, then moderate. :P

Frameworks! Those of us trying to create any sort of web application, whether it be a game, php/mySQL will encounter a framework or two. Who out there have used them? What have you found out about the ones you have used? Recommendations? Where would a beginner get started?

Discuss!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Do Frameworks Fit Here?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Yep perfect place. Was wanting a place to talk about frameworks, libraries, ect..

As far as framework for PHP/SQL I have not dabbled in that in some time so am not caught up with current ones.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

As far as PHP frameworks, I'm familiar with Symfony, Laravel and Zend. I got started on Codeigniter and CakePHP, but honestly could no longer recommend those considering the power available in other frameworks.

Out of the three above, I'd say Laravel is the best mix of ease of use and feature set. All three can be fairly complex to get into, but the dependency injection component in each of them helps you to create independently testable classes, which can really benefit you in the long run. They also integrate with composer, allowing you to install modules for flexibility. A programmer's goal is not to write code - it's to solve problems, the solution to which usually lies in code. But most of the time somebody has already addressed your problem suitably, and package managers like composer help you to avoid writing code when you really don't need to be.

A lot of these frameworks are designed to mimic Rails or Sinatra somewhat, but they don't have quite as much "magic" as Rails.

My recommendation will go to either Laravel, whose ORM I like very much, or Symfony 2 for flexibility. As mentioned, these can have a pretty steep learning curve, but the benefits outweigh the negatives IMO.

If you wanted to get started with Laravel, it's going to be as easy as following the instructions on their site: http://laravel.com/docs/quick#installation

You should first install Composer ( https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md ... on-windows ), as you're going to need it anyway, and msysgit (if on Windows) or git if on Linux. Then install Laravel using composer, which functions a lot like NPM or gem.
w00t
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Scratch for the win!!
the old

Code: Select all

<?php
function DoStuff($stuff)
{
 $doingstuff ++;
return $stuff;
}

if($_GET["action"] == "doStuff")
DoStuff($_GET["stuff"]);
?>
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Chris

Post by Chris »

Yii for PHP.
MVC 4.5 for Microsoft.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Chris wrote:Yii for PHP.
MVC 4.5 for Microsoft.
ASP.NET MVC is at v5.2 now. 4.5 was Web Forms and .NET, but not MVC ;)

For PHP I like Yii, Laravel and FuelPHP. All 3 share a similar philosophy IMHO.

CodeIgniter can be a good place to start to feel comfortable with MVC frameworks since it is by far the easiest to pick up and learn. However, its practice of clinging on to dinosaur versions of PHP has killed the momentum CI had a few years back, and people are jumping ship from it left-to-right.

It is still a good framework to learn with, though.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”