Net Neutrality

Keep it clean but fun.
vitinho444

Net Neutrality

Post by vitinho444 »

What the hell is this?

From what I got from several videos on youtube, USA's ISPs are trying to create some kind of bill that will make them able to charge for the usage of the internet.

I saw in a video (comedy one), that they had a chart like:

Starter Pack (29.99$) - Includes GMAIL
Pack (49.99$) - Includes GMAIL, FACEBOOK and Youtube
Pack (99.99$) - Includes other bunch of websites.

Is this for real? Like.. it makes no sense...

What you guys think?
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

It is what will destroy the internet as we know it. Say goodbye to everything you love about the internet and a big hello to everything you hate.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Good reply ahaha. So basically if this gets passed, we will go flood the deep web?

Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Sure it makes sense in capitalistic terms - lots of cents - that add up into billions.

Unless one thinks capitalism is a kind of benign father figure, in which case it wouldn't make sense.
Chris

Post by Chris »

This cannot pass. It is outside of the will of Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee and is beyond the intention of the internet. The internet is not about money. It is a means of connecting electronic devices together which can communication information between one another.

In that case I will personally shoot the ISP's representatives. I will feel it my right as I am of British descent.

Should this pass, prepare for world war three. Think about banking transactions, don't be daft this is simply impossible. This is nothing more than a load of hype made by media companies who are not willing to innovate in new means of selling their product. Get over it, TV is getting old. The cinema is getting old. Times change. They should have pulled out when they had the chance. Get over it. Count your losses.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

That's one of the downsides of living in a big ass country like the US, here in Portugal there are a bunch of ISP's too, but every single one provides a good service (well ruling out those subit no-internet times) for a low amount of money (compared to you guys). Ofc they all would suck if Portugal was bigger.

I like capitalism in one way (as Max Payne in Max Payne 3 said) You pay for a service, and you get what you paid for. Simple. Now.. this cr*p about making more money because they don't have anything more to charge... it's ridiculous .

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The FCC isn't going to stop it, since the head of the FCC is a former Comcast CEO, if I remember right. They lobbied and lobbied until they got him in place, since previous FCC chairs had ripped-apart these proposals before.

The only hope is the Supreme Court, since they have so far been fairly strong net neutrality supporters and it doesn't appear the lineup is going to radically change anytime soon (there really is so much wisdom in how the Supreme Court is setup). Hopefully they will strike down whatever the final law is.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Let's say it gets passed.
Will it be for US only, or the whole World?

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:Let's say it gets passed.
Will it be for US only, or the whole World?
It will be only for the USA. However, a lot of it will affect the whole world. Any US site that travels through US infrastructure will get slowed down. Once a max speed is capped by hardware along the site's travels through the network, nothing can speed it back up.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Damn... though look for you guys :/

I guess It's safe for the whole world, because with NSA and copyright stuff and what not, people don't like to have their websites hosted in the US anymore for what I've heard.
But the bigger companies are all there so thats bad...

Return to “Off-Topic”