Questions about sprites/background scenery

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
Torax

Questions about sprites/background scenery

Post by Torax »

Last edited by Torax on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Questions about sprites/background scenery

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

My thoughts on this will most likely differ from anyone else on here but as you have seen in many of my games I use the home made tiles for RPG Maker. If I can buy them I do, if there is a license I follow it, but for many out there there is no way of doing any of that so yes I use them in alpha and demos until I can find better graphics to fit it.

I have never once been asked to remove graphics and if I do I would gladly remove them. You have to think I have hundreds of thousands of views on my videos showing those graphics and not one person has ever made a comment about them. Just do not try to steal or sell the graphics or make money with them and you should be just fine.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Personally I would try to avoid to copy art and code found on the net. Why? Because I would not be happy to discover that somebody copied my work without informing me, therefore I would not do it to the others. Yet if the art is under open content or equivalent then yes, otherwise I simply skip it.

RPG maker art is copyrighted, unless you own a license of the software, you should not re-use it. Even retouching, changing color is not enough to make it your art.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Torax are you taking about the art that is shipped with RPG maker or user made stuff found all over the net? I do not use what was shipped with RPG Maker and I even own a copy.
Torax

Post by Torax »

Last edited by Torax on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

if they are free to use then use them all you want!
Torax

Post by Torax »

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I believe RPG Maker sprite packs are legal to use in your own projects. They used to have RM usage packs and then non-RM usage packs for a higher price, but they have done away with the non-RM usage packs and appear to have rolled them into one. So provided you have purchased the pack, I am pretty sure you could use it in your project. I think the stock RPG Maker sprites that come with RPG Maker are licensed only for RM usage.

But don't take my word for it with something as major as copyright. Check out the license of anything before you use it and be sure to follow it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Torax

Post by Torax »

TwoDMayhem

Post by TwoDMayhem »

A general take on the usage of digital property: In the spirit of agile development - I would use anything at your disposal so you can get the game in a playable state earlier. Over time, you can create your own art, music, etc. to incorporate into the game, but the first thing we HAVE to know about a game is: Is this a good game? You can find that out with whatever assets you would like to use.

My 2cents.

Return to “Resources”