Anyone tried Phaser?

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
Jackolantern

Anyone tried Phaser?

Post by Jackolantern »

I am not sure why I never came across Phaser HTML5 game engine, but the feature list is extremely impressive for an open source MIT engine. If it delivers on all of the features, I would say it hands-down has Impact beaten on features. Next up is to actually give it a go and see how it works. Playcraft engine was also very impressive at first glance, but the API was extremely unwieldy, using lengthy and complex JS objects for even the most simple of features. That ruined Playcraft for me (not to mention the fact that it is basically abandoned now), so I am hoping Phaser is not like that.

Has anyone checked it out before?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Re: Anyone tried Phaser?

Post by a_bertrand »

Yes checked out is the term.... I don't want to link myself to any of those. I had to link myself to Three.js and I can tell you I already see the down side.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Was there anything wrong with it?
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

With phaser? I would say it's ok for games like small flash equivalent, but not useful at all for bigger one. Again personal opinion.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

What made it unsuitable for large projects? I understand it is just a personal opinion. I was just curious.

Oh, and I just realized this is the "Mighty Fingers" engine, if anyone remembered hearing about that one.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well it is strongly based on the game loop and the fact all objects are handled by the engine. You don't have good options to have items placed and removed from the game item list (think about a big world, certainly not all objects will be there all the time), anyhow, it really depends what kind of game you are after.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Jackolantern wrote: Oh, and I just realized this is the "Mighty Fingers" engine, if anyone remembered hearing about that one.
Isn't "Mighty Fingers" just built on of Phaser?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:
Jackolantern wrote: Oh, and I just realized this is the "Mighty Fingers" engine, if anyone remembered hearing about that one.
Isn't "Mighty Fingers" just built on of Phaser?
About 3 or 4 years ago, the "Mighty Fingers Engine" was in development. I remember seeing some tech demos around that time. But then the core was separated out and became Phaser, and the Mighty Fingers name lives on as a separate point'n'click editor that is somewhat external to Phaser.
a_bertrand wrote:Well it is strongly based on the game loop and the fact all objects are handled by the engine. You don't have good options to have items placed and removed from the game item list (think about a big world, certainly not all objects will be there all the time), anyhow, it really depends what kind of game you are after.
Exactly the kind of info I was needing. Thank you!
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

But, if any of you find a kick butt engine, then please share as I am interested. I'm diving into the php/msql realm for now, as I want to mess with that. I do plan on using an engine for a 2d game I have in mind.

This is great info!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”