Cryengine avaiable at Valve's Steam

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
MikuzA

Cryengine avaiable at Valve's Steam

Post by MikuzA »

Hello guys,

Cryengine is now available at Steam..
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220980/

"
Is it really royalty free?
Yes, the monthly subscription fee is all you have to pay, there’s no royalty share required when you commercialize your game projects.
"

^ that I love on engines..
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
Jackolantern

Re: Cryengine avaiable at Valve's Steam

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, that is pretty amazing. So there is really no restriction, like you don't have to release the games on a set platform, or anything like that?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Oh...My...God...What a beast engine this is...

#1 CryEngine... That last weather system, and the water vanishing, it got me crazy!!!! :o
I wish I was a beast game developer to touch this... But I'm just a Unity Noob :)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Pretty graphics are definitely no reason to pick up an engine. By the time a hobbyist developer could make a game that really makes use of its graphical superiority, the whole industry will likely have moved on and they won't be cutting edge anymore.

A far better reason for us to pick up an engine is because you find it easy to work with. And in that regard, I have no idea what Cryengine offers. At least in my limited knowledge about the engine, I don't think it has been available to the public all that long, which makes me think it still could be quite tailored to its original dev team, much like Hero Engine and Unreal were when they first became publicly available.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

You're right, I use Unity because its user friendly, but with successful indie games being released with AAA like graphics it kinda sets the standard very high for other not so big indie developers... And doesn't matter what you and I think, but the average player cares about GRAPHICS ONLY. I care about gameplay, that's why I love Counter-Strke: Source, It's not a Battlefield or CoD, but it has unique Gameplay and that's why I like it, or even CS 1.6 still played by millions.

Even UDK looks too "serious" to me... Maybe I haven't spent any time trying to learn it, which is true, but, I'm so used to Unity, that I can't just learn a whole new process into game development, unless I really need to.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Yes this is easily a cause of halls disease. Nice engine but way out of most peoples league.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:And doesn't matter what you and I think, but the average player cares about GRAPHICS ONLY.
I used to think that, but I am not so sure anymore. Look at the success of Minecraft, Terreria, and many of the other pixelated indie games that have been coming out in the last few years. I used to think most players cared only about graphics, but now I think many of those gamers have finally been shown that gameplay and fun are the most important. They can still be wowed by great graphics and will likely still even buy a game to see crazy graphics, but I think today mainstream gamers are more willing than ever to try something retro looking if it is fun.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah but in the trailer or pics or something all you have to show is graphics... you can't show much gameplay on pics, on trailer you can but not the feeling of the person playing it.
hallsofvallhalla wrote:Yes this is easily a cause of halls disease. Nice engine but way out of most peoples league.
Exactly :D
I imagine if Frostbite was also available to the public ahahaha.

rockinliam

Post by rockinliam »

The editor and scripting tools look fantastic, and the lighting shaders are beyond incredible. Shame you need to have some very talented artists on your team to make the most of it all. I'll stick with unity.

Also the Snowdrop Engine looks to be something very exciting.
Skillset: C/C++, OpenGL, C#, Lua, PHP, MySql, Web Dev etc.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

And doesn't matter what you and I think, but the average player cares about GRAPHICS ONLY.
Try telling the maker of Flappy Bird or Minecraft that. They will laugh at you all the way to the bank. Sure it is nice but it is also becoming crazy expensive and WAAAAYYYY out of hand keep up with games graphics. Have you seen the new Wolfenstein: The New Order System Requirements?

Recommended Requirements
Core i7-930 Quad 2.80GHz
Phenom II X6 1090T
GeForce GTX 460
Radeon HD 6850
4 GB
Win 7 64
DX 11
50 GB free space

Return to “Resources”