MMORPG game map

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Eddy Parera

MMORPG game map

Post by Eddy Parera »

Hey everybody,

I'm starting my Final Course Project and I'm making a MMORPG game.

I haven't done that much yet, I only made the register system with email activation code. I'm seeking for tools and engines, platforms and paths to do several things.

The only thing missing is the way to make a Javascript mouse events enabled map. The player on the map is a small image, that only moves on the map when the walk time reaches 0 on a countdown timer. The player will travel ONLY to certain points in the map called spots, that can be jobs, cities or Mistery places. (They can't travel to a point where is nothing.)

My teachear told me to make an unique picture for the entire map, but I'm not sure if it won't overkill the game... Also, I never liked to work with coordinates... The only language that I managed to work well with coordinates was VB.

My idea for the map is to behave like the "The West" game map. So, this will be a 1:30 of the square of the "state" and the entire map will have 15-20 "states", I'm not sure yet.

So my question is, what to do, get an unique picture for the entire map, or do something else, how to work with coordinates, etc...
rockinliam

Re: MMORPG game map

Post by rockinliam »

I think i understand your question. You could create a tile system that loads each area of the map, maybe using xml or json to store the tile sheets. So when a player enters a new area the client downloads the tile data for the area, it renders to the screen, and then a script would run allowing the player to move around the world. I'm not sure how your are planning to implement the multiplayer aspect of the game? But a simple clunky way of doing it would be on each movement the player stores their new position in a database, and on intervals the client fetches all positions of the players within the current region, this method would work for simple movement but not for pvp combat.

Coordinates are nice and simple, here's a diagram:

In the context of your game, each of tile of the grid would correspond to a tile in the game. So if your player was standing on the tile (2,5), and wanted to move to the tile to his right, he would move to the tile (3,6).

Liam.
Skillset: C/C++, OpenGL, C#, Lua, PHP, MySql, Web Dev etc.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: MMORPG game map

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Use HTML5 and use a tilesheet to build the map with layers. This way you can have multiple maps and you are not stuck with dealing with divs and/or offsets.

Return to “Game Design”