Make a game-presentation, insted of using PP

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
fjork

Make a game-presentation, insted of using PP

Post by fjork »

Hello ! Feels good to be a part of this communtity as a newcomer to game development :)

So let me explain, I have this course right now in webdevelopment, where I need to review and analyze two diffrent webpages.

So I thought to myself why not make this a game presentation insted of using to old boring method like PowerPoints, Pretzi or what ever.

Imagine a game where you can make the whole class enter this "game presentation" through their mobile and be able to follow me in real-time and be able to interact in the eviroment (maybe with stuffs like clickable signs where information about these webpages be shown and so on).

I recently bought Impactjs and most likely gonna use that framework to develop this presentation. Have also looked around for the server alternative like node and socket.io to be able to make the class connect to this game-presentation.

Since I dont have much free time, got my bachelor essay far up my ***. Im willing to spend about 2-3 days to get this presentation up and running. So the plan is something like do this simple corridor where you walk by some signs and in the end there is two diffrent ways, that leads to the diffrent webpages.

You think this is doable? My biggest worry is to get it to work on diffrent mobiles and to get node to work properly. But I also have no clue how to make for exampel a door that trigger a <a href> to a webpage. Also have no experiance with uploading a game to a real server, so this can be abit problematic aswell.

So pretty much all tip & trix are much appreciated!
Xaos

Re: Make a game-presentation, insted of using PP

Post by Xaos »

fjork wrote:Hello ! Feels good to be a part of this communtity as a newcomer to game development :)

So let me explain, I have this course right now in webdevelopment, where I need to review and analyze two diffrent webpages.

So I thought to myself why not make this a game presentation insted of using to old boring method like PowerPoints, Pretzi or what ever.

Imagine a game where you can make the whole class enter this "game presentation" through their mobile and be able to follow me in real-time and be able to interact in the eviroment (maybe with stuffs like clickable signs where information about these webpages be shown and so on).

I recently bought Impactjs and most likely gonna use that framework to develop this presentation. Have also looked around for the server alternative like node and socket.io to be able to make the class connect to this game-presentation.

Since I dont have much free time, got my bachelor essay far up my ***. Im willing to spend about 2-3 days to get this presentation up and running. So the plan is something like do this simple corridor where you walk by some signs and in the end there is two diffrent ways, that leads to the diffrent webpages.

You think this is doable? My biggest worry is to get it to work on diffrent mobiles and to get node to work properly. But I also have no clue how to make for exampel a door that trigger a <a href> to a webpage. Also have no experiance with uploading a game to a real server, so this can be abit problematic aswell.

So pretty much all tip & trix are much appreciated!
This is pretty ballsy. You better do it well, and do it right, otherwise you're going to have an interactive home page that's annoying. It better be something like this http://www.rleonardi.com/interactive-resume/ or it can just be really annoying, real quickly. I don't want to hold W down for a few seconds and then click to get to the meat of the site, I just want to be there. Or have a fun little game to do it. Not a bad mashup.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If you are still learning the technologies used, I would say this isn't doable in 2 - 3 days. A game presentation? Sure. But having people follow along in real-time on their mobile? That is asking for trouble. What about the guy on the back row who still uses Blackberry? Do you have one to test on? And what about the low-powered pre-paid Android phones someone will inevitably have? Their browser simply won't keep up. How will you deal with this? Just testing on the major mobile platforms could easily eat up 2 - 3 days, let alone designing and developing it. I would put a more realistic time frame on a project like this, which includes getting up to speed on all of the technologies used, at around 2 months of part-time work.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
fjork

Post by fjork »

Jackolantern wrote:If you are still learning the technologies used, I would say this isn't doable in 2 - 3 days. A game presentation? Sure. But having people follow along in real-time on their mobile? That is asking for trouble. What about the guy on the back row who still uses Blackberry? Do you have one to test on? And what about the low-powered pre-paid Android phones someone will inevitably have? Their browser simply won't keep up. How will you deal with this? Just testing on the major mobile platforms could easily eat up 2 - 3 days, let alone designing and developing it. I would put a more realistic time frame on a project like this, which includes getting up to speed on all of the technologies used, at around 2 months of part-time work.
Well the thing is, 90% of the people is acutally using a Iphone, execept maybe me who use Android. If I can get it to work on desktop and Iphone alone most of the people in the class could join me(probably on a very shacky server). When I think about it Blackberry is really rare thing here in Sweden haha :)

Im acutally trying to develop a prototyp for this Bachelor essay, a game aimed for cancer rehabilitated children. It's for a research project for a peer-support solution in something they call a Digital Learning Playground. Im right now experimenting with this prototyp for a "Open-ended adventure co-op game" trying to figure out node now acutally, but it's going slow. But hopefully in a month, when I have spent alot of time trying to build this game i'd be to build this presentation fairly painless I hope :mrgreen:

Sounds painful to get a game to work properly on diffrent phones. So less presentation, more game developing?
fjork

Post by fjork »

Xaos that resume looked really cool, quite boring controllers though! :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

fjork wrote:When I think about it Blackberry is really rare thing here in Sweden haha :)
Blackberry is rare on planet Earth. But that doesn't mean someone won't have one. Maybe they just hide it due to feelings of technology inadequacy :lol:
fjork wrote:Sounds painful to get a game to work properly on diffrent phones. So less presentation, more game developing?
It is quite painful. And really, I would suggest just doing a straight powerpoint presentation. Plus, who knows if your professor would even be amused with a game presentation running on everyone's device? It is a web development class and you said that the focus is on reviewing and analyzing two different websites. Node, websockets, and game development don't really seem to be in the sphere of what the class is about (they of course are in reality, but academia is another world that can be found about a decade to 15 years ago). You would also be setting yourself up with a massive number of moving parts that all have a chance to break and bring the presentation to a screeching halt.

I just think there are better places to expend your time and resources :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
fjork

Post by fjork »

Jackolantern wrote: Blackberry is rare on planet Earth. But that doesn't mean someone won't have one. Maybe they just hide it due to feelings of technology inadequacy :lol:
Hahaha, that's pretty much what im hoping for :mrgreen:
Jackolantern wrote: It is quite painful. And really, I would suggest just doing a straight powerpoint presentation. Plus, who knows if your professor would even be amused with a game presentation running on everyone's device? It is a web development class and you said that the focus is on reviewing and analyzing two different websites. Node, websockets, and game development don't really seem to be in the sphere of what the class is about (they of course are in reality, but academia is another world that can be found about a decade to 15 years ago). You would also be setting yourself up with a massive number of moving parts that all have a chance to break and bring the presentation to a screeching halt.

I just think there are better places to expend your time and resources :)
Dont worry my professor is a weird little man, he been doing reserach with World of Warcraft and other game related stuff, so it's probably fine :). He even encouraged us to do something diffrent, he said the best presentation he ever seen was this guy who had 100 slides in a presentation that was 15min, made me laugh :lol:

But yeah I see your point, I wont spend any time with it if I don't feel I can do it with ease :)

Return to “General Development”