Ember.js vs. Angular.js

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

Ember.js vs. Angular.js

Post by Jackolantern »

Does anyone use either one, or have experience with both? I don't know why, but I have just not gelled with Angular. Something about the style I just don't like. Ember fits more into the patterns I am familiar with, but it seems like Angular is rapidly becoming the standard. Sometimes it feels almost like back when I was learning Prototype when jQuery was taking the world over, and now where is Prototype and who even uses it anymore (even its old holdout, Rails, has abandoned it for jQuery). That would suck to spend the time to really learn Ember only to have it effectively disappear in favor of Angular.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Ark

Re: Ember.js vs. Angular.js

Post by Ark »

I'm currently working with angular and have not touched ember so I can't compare them. But what I would say is that angular is a truly professional framework for web apps. It has a built in dependency injector, which means that you don't have to worry about the loading files order on your html, you can define modules anywhere and define your controller without worrying if a function has been called or not for example. This is also great for testing, also talking about testing an angular developer made karmafor unit testing and e2e testing, its great if you're into TDD. Data-Binding which I think is the coolest aspect about angular, In which angular automatically updates the view when user types on an input field for example. It's better if you see it with your own eyes go to http://angularjs.org/ and scroll down to see the exaxmples.

You can do tons of things with angular and it specializes on web apps I think. I just did a little explanation about it so I suggest to try it out. Best places to start imo would be: the angular official tutorial and the egghead videos
Orgullo Catracho
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Thanks for the info! My plan was (and probably still is) to try out both, but Angular just wasn't jiving with me too well. Ember looks more like a back-end framework, and I like that. However, the lack of DI is kind of rough, as Ember files do have to be loaded in the right order in the JS tags.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hey Ark (or anyone else who has used it), have you by chance gotten Angular to run with Socket.io?

Return to “General Development”