[2D] XNA or Allegro (C# vs C++) or Other?

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
vitinho444

[2D] XNA or Allegro (C# vs C++) or Other?

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey IR!!!

So, I'm soooo tired of 3D and Unity... And I wanted to add a 2D game to my portfolio. I've looked on some tutorials and i found nice playlists (i love tuts playlists *-*) to both XNA and Allegro 4/5.
Ok so.. Bare bones, which one would you pick? (Have in mind that XNA uses c# and Allegro c++).

Now you have your bare bones choice, now in a export prespective. Like XNA can be played in Windows PC's, Phones and Xbox 360, and Allegro can be played in Linux, Mac and Windows.
For me this is a big "no" for both. i would like to make a game and export it to the browser, or even Android... (Taking this in consideration, what language/lib would you suggest?)

Now with those two choices, i have a third "requirement", It should present few to no user installs crap. I dont know about XNA, but Allegro just needs some .dlls in the main folder and that's it!

What you guys suggest me?

PS: All this choices are for me to create a small game/engine from scratch. "Crazy Kid", well the tutorials are like that, and it kinda helps to know what is behind each system, like physics and map generation.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Re: [2D] XNA or Allegro (C# vs C++) or Other?

Post by Jackolantern »

There aren't a ton of options where you can easily export to desktop, web and mobile. Pretty much just HTML5 + a wrapper like CocoonJS, Game Maker Studio or MonoGame/Xamarin.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

If you are after 2D I would go for pure WPF. Why? Because I would have full control of the story, and yet WPF / XAML is powerful enough in 2D without the need of further tools.

Keep in mind this will make your software windows only (WP or Metro would require some changes but still windows only). If you want to be portable, then look into HTML5.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:There aren't a ton of options where you can easily export to desktop, web and mobile. Pretty much just HTML5 + a wrapper like CocoonJS, Game Maker Studio or MonoGame/Xamarin.
Well the reason why i dont pick HTML5 right away is that the "way" of creating the games are not the same as i would use in c++ for example.
In C++ i would use:

Code: Select all

int main()
{
bool done = false;

while(!done)
{
//Game Loop
Player.Update();
Enemies.Update();
Game.Update();

Player.Draw();
Map.Draw();

If(Input.ESC) done = true;
}

exit 0; // i dont remember if its really exit 0 ahaha i dont code c++ in like 2 years maybe.
And with HTML5 is all in the JS files and i dont really get the way :) But hey.. we need to learn new things right?
a_bertrand wrote:If you are after 2D I would go for pure WPF. Why? Because I would have full control of the story, and yet WPF / XAML is powerful enough in 2D without the need of further tools.

Keep in mind this will make your software windows only (WP or Metro would require some changes but still windows only). If you want to be portable, then look into HTML5.
Never heard of WPF. I googled it and it says its a "GUI engine". Since its windows only why wouldn't i choose XNA instead? There are better and more tutorials (from what i've seen).

I guess HTML5 is really the only way. ahaah I have a Impact license, i could give it another shot... The problem is that since its paid there aren't much tutorials.

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

XNA is mostly dead, and XNA is windows only too ;)

WPF is what is behind Metro and WP too....
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Hum...If it was for windows i would check WPF but since i want export options i really need to go HTML5.

Do you have some tutorials for HTML5 game dev? (Impact and non-Impact ones)

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

No I don't use tutorials generally... For me the only thing to check was the Canvas functions.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

a_bertrand wrote:No I don't use tutorials generally... For me the only thing to check was the Canvas functions.
Yeah but i dont know the ways of development in Javascript and HTML5, so a little base would be good. I got a Adobe Tutorial for Impact and i will see how that goes :lol:
Really pumped with this one. :roll:

Return to “General Development”