Pivotal Tracker and cubicverse

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
a_bertrand

Pivotal Tracker and cubicverse

Post by a_bertrand »

Hi guys,

I discovered a nice tool, which may help those of you which have many things to implement in your projects. If you are like me where the list of ideas is never ending, this can be the tool which may help you keep track of all the wishes / ideas.

First of all seen as my own project:
https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/1007270

This tool let you write down the "storie" and tasks. Stories are basically a group of tasks which implement a feature. The size of both depends on you not the tool.

It's free if your project is "public" which as far as I can tell means, people can see it directly? Not sure here. So for the moment I would say it's not a bad deal.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Re: Pivotal Tracker and cubicverse

Post by Jackolantern »

It looks cool! :cool:

This could perhaps be a good way to keep track of upcoming updates/wishlists for games that won't be kept on Github or another open source control system.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

I hadn't seen this one yet. The companies I've worked for so far have used Jira (works great with bitbucket) and the company I work for now uses OnTimeNow. These sorts of tools really do get you organized, and generating burndown charts is a nice feature that can help you make sure you are accomplishing everything you are setting out to accomplish. Not to mention the higher ups really like seeing the pretty graphs with the hours melting away as stories get completed. We update ours on the fly during normally week-long sprints.

Agile development patterns are really starting to take off, so tools like these are becoming more and more common. This thread got me wondering if there are any comparable free alternatives, so I decided to do some quick research. Ultimately what I found is that you get what you pay for, because OnTime, Jira, Pivotal, or any of the other paid options are much more feature-rich and easy to use then their free counterparts. But there are a couple free (not just free trial) options in case anyone is wanting an issue tracker/scrum software to get started:

Version One
Mingle (by thoughtworks)

But you know, now that I'm thinking of it, post-it notes probably work just as well for small projects, haha.
w00t
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

We do have Jira too at work, and while not being perfect it's not a bad too either. However here I was looking for an alternative which could be shared on the net, as this is not for my day to day work ;)

Agile development is yet a bit another "Eldorado" of the development, after MVC (which infected basically every single framework out there), test driven development (which is a nightmare), we now have yet another thing which will save our life!

For me it's mainly a tool to keep track of the possible features, and inform my players of what may come, and what I'm working on.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer

Return to “General Development”